Advanced Search

The happiest little WEPS Storage box

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance The happiest little WEPS Storage box

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brent Dowell
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

So, Thought I’d put together a little organizer/storage unit for my WEPS.

Dang if it didn’t turn out to be the happiest little organizer box I’ve ever made.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Haha… it is happy! 😆

Looks like a great job. (Nice photos too.)

Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum!

Brent Dowell
    Participant

Welcome to the forum!

Oh, I’ve been lurking for a while, well, since I got the WEPS,

But didn’t really feel I had anything to share until now…

This is great place, and a great source of sharpening info. I check it most nearly every day.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Well that is the happiest storage box I’ve ever seen! 🙂 Welcome and thanks for your contribution. I’ll bet you have plenty to add. 😉

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Great job. I mean really nice construction.
    Just curious, how much does it weigh all loaded up?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Very nice job on the storage box

Brent Dowell
    Participant

Great job. I mean really nice construction.
    Just curious, how much does it weigh all loaded up?

Now that is a very good question. It’s a little heavy, so I just went out and weighed it.

The WEPS mounting board and blade holder weigh 8#4oz on its own.

The rest of it is made up of 1/2″ baltic birch ply, with 1/8 ply bottoms and weighs in at 16#6oz, with all the accessories in it.

Total weight is 24#10oz. That’a actually heavier than I thought it would be.

I suppose I could use a different way to mount it than using the mounting board. That would save quite a bit of weight.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Awesome!

Ken

Mikedoh

Question
    It wouldn’t be too hard to add a top that allowed for the WEPS to stay fully mounted, and carried by a top handle, would it?
    Very nice work.

Brent Dowell
    Participant

Question
    It wouldn’t be too hard to add a top that allowed for the WEPS to stay fully mounted, and carried by a top handle, would it?
    Very nice work.

That would actually be very easy. Just another small box, with a lip to fit around the inside of the top section, and a couple of latches. It would also be easy to drill a hole in the back that would go down through the drawers to fit a pin of some sort to keep the drawers closed while in transit.

Great idea. Thanks Mikedoh!

Mikedoh

Hey, it’s a very nice craftsman’s cabinate box. I know that for me, Breaking down the vise would be something I wouldn’t do.
    Great amount of storage, great looks. Always a fan of dove tail joints. I’m lazy when it comes to much reassembly. . . .ok, I’m just plain lazy, but particularly so when it comes to much disassembly, reassembly.

Wonderful storage box. Like it very much. A lid that allowed the vise to stay intact would be the ultimate for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Brent Dowell
    Participant

Just simple box joints on the drawers.

Great suggestion you made, and I would tend to agree with you. I’m thinking I might just make the lid for it. If for nothing else, to keep the sawdust off it out in the shop. Not sure I want to take it apart everytime I want to put it away either.

Mikedoh

Sorry for my display of ignorance. I’d always considered any sort of fingered joinery as dovetail, even if they were not splayed at the ends.

Appreciate the education I got from looking up the difference between box and dovetail and the strength debates.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

very cool design Brent, and nice job to boot. 🙂

Thanks for sharing that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.