Advanced Search

The Fare today: Knifezilla – ripper of a day

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business The Fare today: Knifezilla – ripper of a day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Man oh man what a day at the fare – knifezilla.

Great day, lots of fare goers strolling through, some even had many knives for me.

Record day for knives, beat old record by 3….yea.

14 sharpened on site and 24 for homework, 1 hatched, 1 set of hedge shears and 1 set of kinda fancy scissors (jury still out on them)

See you thur. at Whole Foods gig.

Good luck to everyone. – LONG VID TODAY – 35 MINS.

Ted S
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 31

Thanks for the video. When you sharpened the Calphalon serrated knives, did you sharpen on only one side or both sides?

What is the brand name/model of the magnifier you use?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Thanks for the video. When you sharpened the Calphalon serrated knives, did you sharpen on only one side or both sides?

What is the brand name/model of the magnifier you use?

YES
    both sides…….with ceramic rod and cardboard. sometime back leo posted a video of a guy using same and i have used it since.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

The only time that method on serrations does not work is when they are easily seen to be worn say 30% depth gone then sharpen the back side at as low an angle as possible and go at it until the entire scallop is included in the bevel then remove the burr with cardboard with dried liquid metal polish on it .
    I mention this since someone gave me a Leatherman to do and they had been sharpening the serrated blade with one of those drag through sharpeners so they were half gone. One good thing with Leatherman send the knife back and they will replace worn or broken parts gratis.(bit like Zippo lighters)

Adrian King
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 19

I must say how jealous I am, I’d love to take my WE to various events but people just don’t carry knives here in the UK. A sharpening service has crossed my mind but I think the only takers would be chef’s, I cant imagine a profitable venture.

Leo Barr
    Participant

Someone on the forum has an excellent in and that is to go to the Police and Fire departments and offer your service gratis for one knife per person then there are the shops that sell knives be it kitchen knives or hunting etc which would be serious outdoor shops not Millets but something like that and possible offer a percentage and get the knives through them. what about car boot sales or is there so much protectionism that people don’t sell knives at these gigs .
    I wonder if there are clubs that have knives certainly BSAC it is part of the safety equipment to have diving knives then there are Marinas where there are boats there are knives .
    Another thought are rural farmers markets since once again out of town knives are justified in the cities yes a different matter but say in London there are a few marinas the first ever was in Thames Ditton and the most prestigious would be St Catherines dock another place to try are chandlers .I hope that gives some inspiration!

Ted S
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 31

Seems you have sharpened a lot of knives. Have you replaced any diamonds/stones or are you still using the original set?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Seems you have sharpened a lot of knives. Have you replaced any diamonds/stones or are you still using the original set?

Ted
    i replaced the 100/200’s about 3 weeks ago and the 400/600’s the week before and the 800/1000’s could use it. now back in may when i started this gig, i ordered 50/80’s and now they feel like the 100/200’s.

the move to replace the 400/600’s was the best move, but i noticed last sat. and today they have worn pretty fast.

about 2 weeks ago, i ordered some 2000/3000’s – since then, i have not had a really nice knife to try them on.
    good luck to you.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’m curious, your stone longevity doesn’t seem to be as long as Clays… Have you talked to him about that?

Also, are you, or have you considered moving the stones “down the chain”? Since they don’t wear out, but just seem to get finer, (for a while anyway), I would think you could still get use out of them. So then, all you would have to replace is the more coarse ones?

Mostly thinking out loud here. 🙂

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I’m curious, your stone longevity doesn’t seem to be as long as Clays… Have you talked to him about that?

Also, are you, or have you considered moving the stones “down the chain”? Since they don’t wear out, but just seem to get finer, (for a while anyway), I would think you could still get use out of them. So then, all you would have to replace is the more coarse ones?

curtis
    i move them down when at home working, but at the fares………..no

since jeb helped me out, at fares it is locked in at 24* and normally i start out at 100/200 – 400/600 – both ceramics: done – this is on most kitchen knives.
    now yesterday i had a flock of nice globals and i finished with 800/1000 the ceramics and quick leather.
    i have not contacted clay, but my new 400/600’s seem to be holding up ok for now.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

curtis

since jeb helped me out, at fares it is locked in at 24* and normally i start out at 100/200 – 400/600 – both ceramics: done – this is on most kitchen knives.
    now yesterday i had a flock of nice globals and i finished with 800/1000 the ceramics and quick leather.
    i have not contacted clay, but my new 400/600’s seem to be holding up ok for now.[/quote]

Tuffy when you say “both ceramics” do you mean 1200/1600 and micro’s or one or the other?

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

curtis

i have not contacted clay, but my new 400/600’s seem to be holding up ok for now.[/quote]

Tuffy when you say “both ceramics” do you mean 1200/1600 and micro’s or one or the other?[/quote]
    Eamon
    the 1200/1600 and coarse/fine.

You remember back you asked about the big fare…..here is copy of email i got.
    i will probably move out there soon….maybe 3 days a week. i have to determine when. i am heading thre now.
    see you.
    Hi Tuffy,

No insurance is not required, but you should get a business license from commissioner of revenue. You are not required to be here at any particular time to set up. It is completely up to you. The rent for a space underneath the pavilion is $ 25.00 for the day/$ 40.00 for the week. If you pay the weekly fee, you are welcome to be at anytime during the week. We have an event this Sat. Apple Extravaganza, from 11-3. This might be a good time to begin. When we know that you are coming, we will post it to facebook. Also please note that October 26th is our annual Harvest Fair. The pavilion will not be available during this event, but we are offering uncovered spots out in the parking lot for vendors at $15.00 per spot.

When you are ready, please come by the market office to fill out a vendor form for approval!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Mindy

Leo Barr
    Participant

That sounds good Tuffy you can keep plundering as well !!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tuffy, that looks like a good deal for three days a week? They want $20 for one > three hour day on Saturday late afternoon. It is 6 miles away from me. There are several more around me, but I would like to get my feet wet with this one.
    I was telling a friend who is willing to be my “barker” for me till I get smooth with it, “I just want to knock off Tuffy, there’s no sense in redesigning the wheel!” We can turn you into a franchise…same tables umbrella and banner. I’m even going to have recycled knives! 😉 😆

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuffy, that looks like a good deal for three days a week? They want $20 for one > three hour day on Saturday late afternoon. It is 6 miles away from me. There are several more around me, but I would like to get my feet wet with this one.
    I was telling a friend who is willing to be my “barker” for me till I get smooth with it, “I just want to knock off Tuffy, there’s no sense in redesigning the wheel!” We can turn you into a franchise…same tables umbrella and banner. I’m even going to have recycled knives! 😉 😆

kewl beans

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.