Advanced Search

The ESEE brand knives and 1095 steel

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Steel 1095 The ESEE brand knives and 1095 steel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I have the ESEE 4, 5,6, and Laser Strike knives which all use 1095 carbon tool steel. When any of these knives arrive at your door, they are each ground with a toothy 20 degree per side bevel edge…very effective for general cutting and use around the camp. Great for making fuzz sticks or for batoning kindling wood. This type of edge cuts reasonably effectively but soon requires re-sharpening.
    I have found that moving to a 21 or 22 degree per side bevel edge useful. After raising a burr along the whole length of the edge, I carry right through the paddles and then the strops using 5 and 3.5 diamond paste. During daily use I utilize a large leather hand strop with Green compound to touch up the edges. Within a short time I have a nicely rounded shoulder and the bevel has changed to a very nice convex edge. The 1095 retains its edge very well and is easier to sharpen than either D-2, VG-10 or 3-G steels. The aforementioned steels however retain their acuity for a much longer time.
    Of course being a carbon steel, a little care will assure that no rust problems occur. Usually a wipe with a dry cloth after use is enough. When I store the knives i wipe the blade with a thin coating of mineral oil and so the blades are well protected.
    I really like 1095 steel and find it mates well the kinds of things I do. The WEPS makes short work of any sharpening chore with this steel.

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m need to acquire some ESEE knives Leo – do you have any recommendations for a first one starting out?

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I think either the ESEE-4 or 6 are the most useful to me. My son uses the ESEE-3 as his knife for field dressing deer so that one may be more useful to you Clay. The ESEE-5 is a more specialized knife…big and bulky and is more like a pry bar with a sharp edge.
    They are all full flat geometry, so they require a little more time mounting, but this is nothing to you is it! 😉
    The Laser Strike knife is a quirky knife…it has a spear point and easily removable scales so that the skeletonized tang can be used for lashing the knife to a pole to create a spear for survival. The scales also hide a fire-steel and tinder tabs for obvious use.
    So there you go…pick your poison my friend.

Cheers
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

Laser Strike it is, just ordered. Thanks Leo.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

You are welcome!
    I look forward to you sharpening it for the first time and I shall try something different so we can compare and contrast the resulting edge.
    Later Clay!

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Maybe it is too late, but Jim Howe (also a reseller of the WEPS) has them on sale.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

Maybe it is too late, but Jim Howe (also a reseller of the WEPS) has them on sale.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of that! I’ll be sure to order from him next time. Thanks Mark.

-Clay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.