Advanced Search

The difference between dull and sharp

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat The difference between dull and sharp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wicked Edge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 12

Here are a couple of quick pictures of a knife that started moderately sharp, got used very hard and is now fairly dull:

Fällkniven F1 after moderate use
    500x magnification
    229-270 grams of force on the sharpness machine

Fällkniven F1 after heavy use
    500x magnification
    500-600 grams of force on the sharpness machine

The first image above was taken after using the knife for the second day of wood prep for campfires which involved splitting wood with the knife and a baton and a lot of carving/whittling to create wood shavings and expose the dry core of the firewood.

The second image above was taken after the third day. A lot more cutting was done on the third day to simulate the amount of work the knife would need to do over a longer period in the woods. I’ll have a video up later today showing the kind of work that was done.

After the second day, the knife was still shaving very easily. Today it is not really shaving at all. The edge is noticeably rolled to one side, opposite the side that was in contact with the wood while whittling/carving. It’s easy to detect the burr by running my fingernail up the side of the knife. It’s a great example of how lateral force dulls a blade.

~Originally posted by wickededge

*Posted by Administrator due to database issue

Attachments:
    Wicked Edge
    Keymaster

great analysis clay! yeah, you’re definitely going to need to be able to touch it up in the field apparently!’

it’s a good thing you could always sharpen it on a brick if you had to! 😉

~Originally posted by razoredgeknives

Wicked Edge
    Keymaster

Here’s the video from yesterday’s outing:

I am really impressed at just how quickly the knife came back to screaming sharp.

~Originally posted by wickededge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.