Advanced Search

Task Specific Sharpening Section

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Task Specific Sharpening Section

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys, I’m thinking of adding a new section dedicated to task specific sharpening so we might have sub-forums for cooking, hunting, EDC, bushcraft etc… What do you guys think? Would you want to contribute in those areas, share your experiences and strategies?

-Clay

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

I think it’s a great idea. Might make searching a little easier for anyone looking for specific sharpening evolution or even just to see what works best for different people for the same tasks.

Wesley Adkins
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

I think that’s an awesome idea. With the wicked edge it’s possible to do so many different edges for specific tasks it would be very helpful Plus there is such a wealth of knowledge in this community it would become a very thorough database

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I think it’s a great idea…. But I haven’t found need for something like that myself at this point. I think it would be very beneficial as the WEPS forum grows, not sure if anyone will use it at this point or not (as the existing sections seem to be fine) but it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and have it in place! 🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Sounds like a good idea. I hear all the time people use their knives in a “normal” way. Then some go on to say they just open letters and other says they chop branches and dig in the dirt. So I task specific section makes sense.

Also I would like a steel specific section, here or elsewhere. I have heard others say they sharpen different steels differently, angle, stones, etc. Of course the task and knife geometry also affects this.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I have questions along the same lines as Geocyclist. A “what is the minimum angle a specific steel can be expected to perform certain duties at.”

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey guys, I’m thinking of adding a new section dedicated to task specific sharpening so we might have sub-forums for cooking, hunting, EDC, bushcraft etc… What do you guys think? Would you want to contribute in those areas, share your experiences and strategies?

I’d vote for it… it’s a question that comes up a lot in sharpening. Having specific categories might help tie it all together. At the same time though, you may want to consider that we’re getting a lot of categories that are starting to overlap… we have a “steel” category, a “knife specific” category, and now this one. So, if I sharpen a Benchmade EDC with XXX steel, where do I put it? Not sure what the answer is… just thinking out loud. I’d vote for eliminating the “brand” categories, they might be too limiting. Having a task specific category might be a better route, since it might compile more information in a specific area.

I have questions along the same lines as Geocyclist. A “what is the minimum angle a specific steel can be expected to perform certain duties at.”

There’s so many variables, this becomes tough to answer. The Knife Database can be useful in answering it by seeing what others are doing. Over time, the more this resource is used, the more valuable it can become, especially if patterns start to emerge.

Joel Fiorentini
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 26

I think it is a great idea. I would find it helpful.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’d vote for it… it’s a question that comes up a lot in sharpening. Having specific categories might help tie it all together. At the same time though, you may want to consider that we’re getting a lot of categories that are starting to overlap… we have a “steel” category, a “knife specific” category, and now this one. So, if I sharpen a Benchmade EDC with XXX steel, where do I put it? Not sure what the answer is… just thinking out loud. I’d vote for eliminating the “brand” categories, they might be too limiting. Having a task specific category might be a better route, since it might compile more information in a specific area.

Exactly my idea. Adding these categories sounds like a good idea.

But also try to maintain a simple structure, and not too detailed. Otherwise it becomes more difficult to find relevant posts, rather than easier.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant

After reading the shaving thread, I wonder if a shaving and/or “Ultimate Sharpness” section would be fun… the 2nd one for documenting the steps used to get the absolute sharpest edge you can achieve. A lot of sharpeners usually like to have at least one crazy sharp edge…. would be interesting to see how they get there. 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for all the response. Any suggestions beyond the following?

Cooking
    Hunting
    EDC
    Bushcraft
    Ultimate Sharpness
    Shaving

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant

Is this going to be a main section with subsections? If so, you might add an “Other” to cover knives that may not show up as often, like a woodworking knife, or special tool of some sort, that someone might want to add.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Can you subdivide “EDC” into smaller categories? Such as light, medium, heavy EDC ? Don’t know how you define those ?
    Light = open envelopes
    Medium = in between
    Heavy = cut cardboard and tie straps all day long

Would “touch ups” be task specific? or would touch ups go under each type of sharpening? Just talking out loud here. For me I touch up my kitchen knives differently than my EDC knives.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

For my money, I’d say touch ups as part of the individual types since it really is just an extension of the sharpening regimens.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.