Advanced Search

Tape for ceramic stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Tape for ceramic stones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

My ceramic stone fell off the platen last nite. Any suggestions on a good tape to stick it back on?
    TIA

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

My ceramic stone fell off the platen last nite. Any suggestions on a good tape to stick it back on?
    TIA

Micro-Fine or Superfine stone?

-Clay

Mikedoh

The 1.4 mic

wickededge
    Keymaster

The 1.4 mic

It’s a pretty rare tape. We’ll send you some today.

-Clay

Mikedoh

Thank you Mr Allison
    Much appreciated

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

So get this…
    This weekend I let my ceramic stones soak to degrease for about 15 min. Stones fell out of the holder.
    Swore, even said bad words at myself…
    Used my daughters blow dryer to make sure everything was clean and dry, then used double back scotch tape to put them back.

So far so good.

Is there a reason to go buy some industrial double back tape? We used stuff in the Navy that could tape something to the outside of hte sub…now that was some tape…

wickededge
    Keymaster

So get this…
    This weekend I let my ceramic stones soak to degrease for about 15 min. Stones fell out of the holder.
    Swore, even said bad words at myself…
    Used my daughters blow dryer to make sure everything was clean and dry, then used double back scotch tape to put them back.

So far so good.

Is there a reason to go buy some industrial double back tape? We used stuff in the Navy that could tape something to the outside of hte sub…now that was some tape…

The tape we’re using for the Micro-Fine ceramics is different than the tape we use for the diamond plates. It’s formulated to adhere on one side to polypropylene and to ceramic on the other, but it doesn’t like water. The tape we use for the diamond plates doesn’t seem to mind water too badly but it doesn’t really stick to the ceramic. Elmer’s glue works really well…

-Clay

Marion
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 41

While probably not part of this problem, but polypropylene is in a group of plastics refered to as self lubricating, and most adhesives won’t stick to them relatively very well or for extended periods of time.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Interesting thread. How are the Chosera’s adhered? Asking as these stone need to be soaked in water.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Interesting thread. How are the Chosera’s adhered? Asking as these stone need to be soaked in water.

They’re attached to the aluminum blanks with glue and then the blanks are attached to the handles using the same tape we use for the diamond plates. I haven’t had any issues with them coming loose after getting wet.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I like to do weird experiments. (Well, this one was for a reason, but that’s another story.)

Aluminium blanks (to which stones are attached) come loose from the paddles in water at about 35 degrees C (95 degrees F) if they are glued with “ordinary” hot glue.

When attached with the 3M tape WE uses, they can stand water of about 70 degrees C (158 F) before they come loose.

Even the Wicked Edge tape rules B).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Enough said, it’s luke warm water for me.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I’ve had one of the stones fall off again, the other is solid still. So it appears junk 2 sided scotch tape works…for a while. I’m not going to assume this will be a permanent fix, but it’s interesting to see how long the one lasts. Once it falls off, I’ll compare and see if I can figure out why.

Clay, if you see this, when buying a set of blank handles, do you provide some tape, or perhaps will you put the tape on the accessories list? Worst case you never sell much, so you don’t have to stock much, but we can compare and maybe find a local source. (just a thought)

D K
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 22

I just had the exact same problem. Clay I sent you an email but I haven’t yet to get mine wet. I took it out of the box that i keep all my stones in and it just fell off. My sharpening had to wait. But on a positive note i received the updated arms and I’m super stoked about it!

wickededge
    Keymaster

I just had the exact same problem. Clay I sent you an email but I haven’t yet to get mine wet. I took it out of the box that i keep all my stones in and it just fell off. My sharpening had to wait. But on a positive note i received the updated arms and I’m super stoked about it!

Dustin, great about the arms, I’m sorry about the stone. We’ll get you some new tape. Elmer’s glue actually works best of all things I’ve tried :silly:

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.