Advanced Search

Super fine cermics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Beatty
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 20

I was looking at the site today and I see the Micro Fine Ceramic Stones , I dont see the Super Fine Ceramic Stones any more. it seame like a large jump from the 1000 dimond to 1.4u for the micro fine ceramic, what that about 13000?

Joseph
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

I had the same thought, but I have no problems going from 1000 diamond to Micro Fine Ceramic. The 1.4 micron stone seems more aggressive than the number would indicate. I personally use 800, 1000, Micro Fine Ceramic, then (sometimes) 5 micron and 3.5 micron diamond paste on balsa or leather strops.

I also have an older set of Super Fine Ceramic Stones, and have tried mixing those in. If those are used the progression might be 800, 1000, Micro Fine 1.4 micron, 1200 ceramic, 1600 ceramic, then Micro Fine 0.6 micron. I arrived at that just by tactile feel of the stones, don’t know if it’s optimal.

However it’s not clear to me whether the Super Fine stones are needed before the Micro Fine stones.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I had the same thought, but I have no problems going from 1000 diamond to Micro Fine Ceramic. The 1.4 micron stone seems more aggressive than the number would indicate. I personally use 800, 1000, Micro Fine Ceramic, then (sometimes) 5 micron and 3.5 micron diamond paste on balsa or leather strops.

I also have an older set of Super Fine Ceramic Stones, and have tried mixing those in. If those are used the progression might be 800, 1000, Micro Fine 1.4 micron, 1200 ceramic, 1600 ceramic, then Micro Fine 0.6 micron. I arrived at that just by tactile feel of the stones, don’t know if it’s optimal.

However it’s not clear to me whether the Super Fine stones are needed before the Micro Fine stones.

+1 to this. Also, in a post in this thread…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=892&limit=6&limitstart=12&Itemid=63#4276

I went from the 1000g stone to the Micro Fine ceramics, then on to 5m leather as a quick test… and the Micro Fine ceramics did a good job of setting the edge for the leather. (I’ve done other blades with similar results).

Hopefully others will chime in with their experience.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This might indeed be the optimal order. Now I have used them more, I think the micro fine ceramics are less fine than I initially thought. I have made some microscope photographs that support this and I will add a blog post on this soon.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.