Advanced Search

Super Fine Ceramic Stones Problem

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Super Fine Ceramic Stones Problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    vlad8
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

The edges especially on the 1600 stones are completely uneven. I can feel it leaving deep scratches. Any ideas what can i do to fix that?

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

How old are they?

When you say uneven are they chipped or not level?

Can you post a pic?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yup, please post a pic. We need a bit more information to see what is going on.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum Vladimir…

You could try lightly lapping the stones together to see if that corrects it. If not, you could then try lapping them with the finest diamond stone you have. Go slow and check your work often to see what’s happening.

vlad8
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

The first one is the 1600. As you can c the both stones have completely different structure and i think you can see some of the problem on the edge.
    The second one is the 1200 which is ok but I did not expect all these holes on the surface.

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

Mine were the same way. Just have to use them and they will be just fine. Only rub them together a little bit. They just have to break in and you will be fine.

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Like Wayne, mine were the same to, look just like your photos.

Chris
    Participant

I can feel it leaving deep scratches.

Feel it and see it?

Mine never looked like these, are these the new batch?

Mine were holes not raised or gravel like.

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=4523&limit=10&limitstart=20&Itemid=63#7039

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=4523&limit=10&limitstart=10&Itemid=63#6980

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Probably the new batch as mine look just like his. I found myself catching the edge until I had a few blades on them and got them broken in a little better. Seems like the edges are pretty square so can be prone to catching if you get too sloppy with your angles. At least that seemed to be my issue…YMMV

Chris
    Participant

The micro’s have a bevel on the edge.

I have lost a whole corner on one now.
    Not the one that cracked.

I’m hoping the new ones are sorted!

Gary Crumb
    Participant

The micro seems to be a completely different composition and feels like a superior product in both finish and function, with the caveat of the Course side being courser than the 1200/1600 until you lap it (which I still haven’t done :unsure: ).

Chris
    Participant

The micro seems to be a completely different composition and feels like a superior product in both finish and function, with the caveat of the Course side being courser than the 1200/1600 until you lap it (which I still haven’t done :unsure: ).

Which was why I would like to have two of them if I could make the fine side coarser on one.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I absolutely LOVE my superfine ceramics and use them all the time, especially when preparing a super polished blade.

-Clay

Gary Crumb
    Participant

I absolutely LOVE my superfine ceramics and use them all the time, especially when preparing a super polished blade.

I also use mine on almost every blade I do. I guess I should have added that. I was just making the point of the micro-fine’s appearing better finished (rounded edges, more consistent appearance) than the 1200/1600 ceramics. The very square edge on the super-fine can be prone to catching until you get them broken in some and get the feel of them down. B) but they do absolutely work a treat.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I also use mine on almost every blade I do. I guess I should have added that. I was just making the point of the micro-fine’s appearing better finished (rounded edges, more consistent appearance) than the 1200/1600 ceramics. The very square edge on the super-fine can be prone to catching until you get them broken in some and get the feel of them down. B) but they do absolutely work a treat.[/quote]

I think we’ll go with beveled edges on the next batch of Superfine stones we have made.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.