Advanced Search

Super Fine Ceramic Stone Broken

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones Super Fine Ceramic Stone Broken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Mullin
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

I just ordered the 1200/1600 stones earlier this month and the 1600 stone has cracked in half. I was cleaning my stones and then using a towel to dry them. When I was drying them off one of the stones came off of the block and cracked in half when it hit the floor. I am hoping I get replacements for this because this stone was obviously not glued down properly. Assistance with this matter would be appreciated.

Daniel Mullin
    Participant

Picture of broken stone attached.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Send Kyle an email kyle@wickededgeusa.com … he can make arrangements to replace your stone.

Daniel Mullin
    Participant

Thank you for the response, I have sent Kyle an email.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yes, we’ll definitely take care of this. Out of curiosity, how were you cleaning your stones? It may help us to understand better whatever issue you encountered.

-Clay

Daniel Mullin
    Participant

Hello Clay,

I was cleaning my stones with a soft-scour scrub pad using some Comet and some cold water. I got the stone just wet enough and then put some Comet on a scrub pad and scrubbed the stone for about 10 seconds. I rinsed the Comet off of the stone and was drying off the stone when it came off of the block and cracked on my floor.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hello Clay,

I was cleaning my stones with a soft-scour scrub pad using some Comet and some cold water. I got the stone just wet enough and then put some Comet on a scrub pad and scrubbed the stone for about 10 seconds. I rinsed the Comet off of the stone and was drying off the stone when it came off of the block and cracked on my floor.

It sounds like you didn’t do anything out of the ordinary there, thanks for letting me know. The issue must have been in the gluing job at the shop.

-Clay

Daniel Mullin
    Participant

Could you please let me know when my new stone is going to be shipped. Also, is the stone and some glue going to be sent or is it going to be a stone already glued on the block? I appreciate the good customer service and will be eventually buying some new stones and upgrades. 🙂

Daniel Mullin
    Participant

Bumping to the top for a response. 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Sharpy…

Your best bet is to contact Kyle direct… he’s the one who handles this, and you probably won’t get an answer thru the forum, especially on specific shipping info.

Typically, they’ll just replace the whole setup, not just send you the stone and glue.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Hello Clay,

Clay Wrote:
    It sounds like you didn’t do anything out of the ordinary there, thanks for letting me know. The issue must have been in the gluing job at the shop.
    [/quote]

Clay, I have had issues with this as well for the 2nd time now. The first time I had cleaned the ceramics the same as above, but I was using some compressed air to dry them off, and the stones popped off the platen. LUCKILY, I caught them before they hit the ground and broke. I continued to dry the double sided tape and pressed them back on there trying to re-adhere them. That held ( approx. 3 wks or so ? ) until just last night when they popped off again while sharpening, not cleaning…………..this time, I tried pulling the tape off, cleaning the platen with alcohol, and I then used some medium thick CA glue to try and adhere them in a more permanent fashion….will let you know how that works out soon.

I suspect the issue is with the very thin double sided tape used to adhere the ceramics / diamond plates to the platens , and that it is not sticky enough to securely hold them ? :unsure:

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, I have had issues with this as well for the 2nd time now. The first time I had cleaned the ceramics the same as above, but I was using some compressed air to dry them off, and the stones popped off the platen. LUCKILY, I caught them before they hit the ground and broke. I continued to dry the double sided tape and pressed them back on there trying to re-adhere them. That held ( approx. 3 wks or so ? ) until just last night when they popped off again while sharpening, not cleaning…………..this time, I tried pulling the tape off, cleaning the platen with alcohol, and I then used some medium thick CA glue to try and adhere them in a more permanent fashion….will let you know how that works out soon.

I suspect the issue is with the very thin double sided tape used to adhere the ceramics / diamond plates to the platens , and that it is not sticky enough to securely hold them ? :unsure:

The tape is super sticky. The problem is the way the ceramics interact with the water. A tech at 3M explained it to me the other day as we were working together to find the right process for attaching the ceramics. The way I now understand it, the ceramic stones are hydrophilic, they love and absorb water and once the stones are submerged, water is able to interrupt the bond between the tape and the stone. I’m waiting on some samples from them for other tapes and for a surface prep for the ceramic stones.

-Clay

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant

Clay wrote:

[/quote]The tape is super sticky. The problem is the way the ceramics interact with the water. A tech at 3M explained it to me the other day as we were working together to find the right process for attaching the ceramics. The way I now understand it, the ceramic stones are hydrophilic, they love and absorb water and once the stones are submerged, water is able to interrupt the bond between the tape and the stone. I’m waiting on some samples from them for other tapes and for a surface prep for the ceramic stones.[/quote]

Thanks for replying Clay……….I had noticed that the ceramics did kind of ” wick ” the water up when I’d moisten them prior to sharpening using your soap film method, so that makes perfect sense to me.

I hope I didn’t mess my stones up by using the CA glue on the back of them, but I’ll check tonight to see if they remained adhered to the platens and if I see anything ” unusual “……….long as they stay stuck and still sharpen like they are supposed to…..I’m good ! :woohoo:

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant

Clay, as promised, I checked the ceramics stones last night when I got home, after using the CA glue to re-adhere them, and it appears to have worked great. I could not even pull the stones off at all……very stuck ! :cheer:

wickededge
    Keymaster

[quote quote=I hope I didn’t mess my stones up by using the CA glue on the back of them, but I’ll check tonight to see if they remained adhered to the platens and if I see anything ” unusual “……….long as they stay stuck and still sharpen like they are supposed to…..I’m good ! :woohoo:

[/b]

Clay, as promised, I checked the ceramics stones last night when I got home, after using the CA glue to re-adhere them, and it appears to have worked great. I could not even pull the stones off at all……very stuck ! :cheer:[/quote]

Thanks for the follow up. Is there a specific formulation of the CA glue you used?

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.