Advanced Search

Success! (I think)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Blakley
    Participant
    • Topics: 29
    • Replies: 28

I bought a Chef’s knife at a bargain price, fixed it, sharpened it and sold it.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The knife was a Shun 8 inch Chef’s knife.  It had a horrible warp to it, the sides of the blade were marred up and the knife’s tip was broken off and virtually no edge to be found.

First thing I did was beat the knife with a plastic mallet until it was flat and true.  That took some time.  I then buffed the sides of the blade.  Ground a new tip and then sharpened it to 15°.  I sold it to a friend and actually made a small profit.

I had a blast.

My wife said I should have taken photos along the way.  She’s probably right.  But for now, I’m happy with my first win!

Michael

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That sounds like a success to me. I always enjoy seeing knife restoration projects. Please take photos during the process if you end up doing that again. What tool did you use to buff the knife?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Michael Blakley
    Participant
    • Topics: 29
    • Replies: 28

I used a product called Alumicut, it’s kind of like a metal polish.  I applied it with circular pad of a really really fine grit & steel wool to polish it.  That was applied using my cordless drill.

I guess there are better ways to do this, but I used the tools I had on hand.

Michael

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.