Advanced Search

stropping after microfine

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat stropping after microfine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mark parnell
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hi all newb here ,,
    I am thinking of getting the microfine stones already have 1200/1600, do i still need to strop after the micro fines ? im sure i read somewhere the microfine fine is .5 micron if so why would you still need to strop ?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum!

I’ve been getting great edges stopping at the .5 microfine. I found the coarse (brown) microfine to be above the 1200/1600, so I’ve been going Coarse Microfine –> 1200 –> 1600 –> Fine Microfine. I think you’ll find it leaves a great edge. 🙂

Of course, I suggest try both ways… with and without stropping, so you can learn the differences in how the knife performs.

Enjoy!

Jerrie Barber
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I am realitively new to all of this but I have also been using the micro fine ceramic and the 1 and .5 strop. In my limited experience and opinion going from hard service to leather is where the difference comes in. I have had great results with the strops and to me it is more about what you are doing with the entire ground, profiled edge than just the cutting edge, if you understand what I mean.
    Just my thoughts.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I am realitively new to all of this but I have also been using the micro fine ceramic and the 1 and .5 strop. In my limited experience and opinion going from hard service to leather is where the difference comes in. I have had great results with the strops and to me it is more about what you are doing with the entire ground, profiled edge than just the cutting edge, if you understand what I mean.
    Just my thoughts.

True… some of it depends on what your goal is (which is often left out in many of these threads). You can achieve a higher level of sharpness with stropping. And you’re right, the profile plays an important role.

In fact, it’s worth pointing out that you could stop at the 600g (or other level) on a knife and, if you profile the knife correctly, have a great cutting edge!

mark parnell
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hi and thanks ,, i think i will get the 1 and .5 um strops when i order the microfines then and try with and without as you suggest .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.