Advanced Search

Start-up Basics: Business cards & a Hat!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Start-up Basics: Business cards & a Hat!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Just got my first set of business cards today and it got me thinking about the progression of learning Ive taken to get this far, much like the grit progression we all use to refine our blades when we sharpen….

• At the core is the Wicked Edge sharpener with its ease of use to get repeatable results (once you get it figured out).
    • There is all the different types of steel & blade shapes to learn about and practice with.
    • Then came the “Quest for the Mirrored Edge” also known as “Down the Rabbit Hole & Beyond”
    • Followed by the “Quest for the Optimal cutting Angle”.
    • Not to be forgotten is the never ending multi-thread discussion regarding the “Toothy vs Smooth” edge.
    • And finally the Wonderful World of Micro Bevels to Save Time and Sanity!!!

Im trying to be funny here, but really whats the point of any of this if we arent having a good time as we go? I’ve had the most fun Ive had in YEARS learning(and continuing to learn) about knife sharpening and Im deeply grateful to all on the Forum for the knowledge, advice, and contributions that have helped me reach a level of confidence in myself where I finally knew I was ready to be able to offer my services to others on a more then “friends & family” basis.

And so with that I placed an order to vista print and 5 days later Ive got my first set of business cards…and a kick butt hat!!! Maybe it was coincidence, but within 30 minutes of putting the hat on I was on my way to pick up 5 knifes from a word of mouth referral(including 1 high end custom) and then on the way home I picked up a kitchen set of 8 more!!!

Did I mention how much I dig having a hat? 🙂
    Mahalo nui loa

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Congratulations, Cliff! Great work!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’m stoked for ya bro!

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Congratulations!

My best wishes!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Congrats man! How exciting for you! Make sure you wash your hands a ton of that hat will not stay very white working with knives!

Victor
    Participant

Congrats man! How exciting for you! Make sure you wash your hands a ton of that hat will not stay very white working with knives!

Hey, haven’t see you around here or USN lately!

I bet you are having too much fun with your new grinder, right!?

I am having a bad case of envy on that grinder of yours! 😛

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Hey, haven’t see you around here or USN lately!

I bet you are having too much fun with your new grinder, right!?

I am having a bad case of envy on that grinder of yours! :P[/quote]

NO actually.. I just have a lot of work going on in my day job and my CNC business. I need to recoup for that grinder! Grinding and sharpening knives is my fun and relax time. I have not had much of any of that for some time. I am almost done with this last rc airplane kit run, and I will be doing a design for a uav cargo bay this weekend and potty training my son all weekend.. time to take away the diapers. We tried it the easy way for him (and us) but he would rather just keep playing and sit in his super absorbant diaper and not use the toilet…so this weekend and on from there, no more diapers..so that will be fun. Just too much going on Victor.. I try and pop in once an a while. It excites me to see someone get to start their own business and it is worth a big congrats for that! I am still too scared to leave my day job..so instead I work 2 full time jobs essentially..lol.. Zamfir Dumb..need more play time. I am turning off the airplane business for the next few months so I can get caught up on some other design promises. Then I can play with knifes again. Hopefully damn soon! I miss it.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

…….I try and pop in once an a while. It excites me to see someone get to start their own business and it is worth a big congrats for that! I am still too scared to leave my day job..so instead I work 2 full time jobs essentially..lol.. Zamfir Dumb..need more play time. I am turning off the airplane business for the next few months so I can get caught up on some other design promises. Then I can play with knifes again. Hopefully damn soon! I miss it.

I paraphrase “so I can get caught up on some other projecs Then I can play with knifes again. Hopefully damn soon! I miss it.”

Zamfir, I hear you. Best wishes and good fortune on you so you can get back to the molecule polishing.

I’ve got a knife in the vise that’s now been there over a month!!!! I’m hoping to get it done and back in service sometime in the next two weeks!

So, I get to live vicariously through my nephew’s business!!

Some of you may remember when I first got on the forum, I talked about talking knife sharpening with my friends and family. Most don’t get it. Some appreciate it. And every once in a while someone gets it. And rarely, if ever, does someone really take it and run. Cliff did.

So, I really love to watch Cliff’s business flourish but, especially, to watch his skills sharpen.

(I wonder if the hats are available at the gift shop?)

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

We knew you are a good spokesman for knife sharpening, Gib 🙂

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Victor
    Participant

Nice to hear you are doing well and stay busy!

Its fun “housebreaking” young ones, don’t you think!? My wife and I are doing the same thing for my grandson! 😛

Years ago, I had similar busy days while I was having a full time job and started a side home machine shop business, making soup-up parts for my friends two stroke RC cars. He was a very talented RC racer and was sponsored by Victor Engineering out of Bronx, N.Y. Then, my first born came and I shelved the machine shop business. Only make things for my own hobbies – in spare time, since late 80’s.

Now having been retired the past 6 years, free time, right? Wrong! My first born son got his first born… my wife and I got the baby sitting service – hobby is back to part time fun!

Spare time we can fit our hobbies in is precious, yeah!?

Do enjoy precious time with family buddy! 🙂

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

Congrats! Oh, and the hat looks great!

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

That is a pretty nice hat.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.