Advanced Search

Stainless steel jaw insert

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Stainless steel jaw insert

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ted S
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 31

Just read the following on hxxp://thesharpenershop.coma –> “This upgraded system includes stainless steel insert in the fixed vise jaw to allow for more positive clamping power”

What exactly is this and how do I get one? The jaws that I have on the unit I got in December do not secure knives in jaws enough. Blade will move left or right with a twist on the handle and change angle. This problem changes the angle as pressure is applied during paddle strokes and because it may never be the exact “tilt” for each stroke, it becomes a real challenge to get a wicked sharp edge.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Read here
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=8&id=10090&Itemid=271#12915

Do you use a piece of chamois or leather on the spine of your problem knives when clamping?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Do you use a piece of chamois or leather on the spine of your problem knives when clamping?

I think Mike’s got it… you might try this first.

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

I have had success using magnetic tape cut to whatever size is needed.

I am not sure what the proper name is but it is that flexible stuff like on the back of business cards that stick to the refrigerator. Know what I mean?

Anyway I cut that stuff to fit. It’s soft enough to give a little so there is a good grip.

Whatever you use, it should be softer than the blade so it does not scratch the blade.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

I have had success using magnetic tape cut to whatever size is needed.

I am not sure what the proper name is but it is that flexible stuff like on the back of business cards that stick to the refrigerator. Know what I mean?

That is a GREAT idea……….thank you for sharing that tip. :woohoo:

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

That is a good idea “R”, I’ve been using leather cut from an old glove (works good). The magnetic strip adds 1/32 to the vise but, the leather was probably about the same and I use the angle cube on all set ups anyway.

Thanks for the tip 🙂
    Jack

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Well, I tried the magnetic strips, it didn’t hold the blade steady for me. It didn’t matter how much I tightened the vise the knife still could be rocked back and forth. The leather requires very little pressure on the vise screw to hold rock solid. Thanks for the suggestion though. :unsure:

Jack

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hey Jack, all I do is use a paper towel doubled over. Fwiw

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Hi Dan, that sounds like it would work. I have a bunch of leather work gloves my son gave me years ago so, I just cut one up to use. Since I retired 7 1/2 yrs. ago, it’s really all I have to use them for now :cheer: Thanks for the suggestion though, some day I might run out of gloves.
    Jack

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

You can always check for a local Tandy leather, they always have scrap bins. Also…old shoes…
    🙂

David Hill
    Participant
    • Replies: 38

Would someone mind posting a pic to show how they place the leather in the vice? Thank you! 🙂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I haven’t had very good luck photographing the set up as the chamois/leather just disappears inside the clamp and you can only really see it where it sticks out the top of the clamp. If someone doesn’t post something by tomorrow (Monday) I’ll try to just use a bigger piece so it hangs out on all sides as that will make it easier to see… I like the chamois as it is very thin so doesn’t add too much thickness to the clamping. it just needs to be compressible so that it squishes down to almost nothing at the spine (or the center line of a dagger etc) and shims the rest of the blade as the grind makes it thinner

What I do is cut a small square (size varies with the size of the knife) and wrap the spine of the knife then set it down in the clamp and snug it up. If the extra sticking out the top gets in the way you can easily trim it off. When sharpening other folks knives at shows or in the shop I use it all the time to protect the finish from any dumb mistakes like getting distracted talking and not fully tightening the clamp. It is faster for me than painters tape for that purpose and also keeps the various grinds without good parallel faces standing straight up (you do have to hold the handle and twist them sometimes to keep them straight up when tightening)

Robert Nash
    Participant

Just read the following on hxxp://thesharpenershop.coma –> “This upgraded system includes stainless steel insert in the fixed vise jaw to allow for more positive clamping power”

What exactly is this and how do I get one? The jaws that I have on the unit I got in December do not secure knives in jaws enough. Blade will move left or right with a twist on the handle and change angle. This problem changes the angle as pressure is applied during paddle strokes and because it may never be the exact “tilt” for each stroke, it becomes a real challenge to get a wicked sharp edge.

Since the tipping problem is already addressed, here’s the deal with the “upgrade” kit

Scott’s description is talking about the insert in all Gen II models which is the only model available now. The original clamps didn’t have the stainless steel insert for the bottom screw on the fixed side of the vise. If you got yours anytime in the last couple years (new not used) this is the set up you have (can’t recall exactly when the Gen II came into being now but it was more than 2 years ago). When it was just the aluminum you could more easily overtighten the clamp and strip the threads. You can see this insert in the thread Mikedoh linked to in the photo it is in the vise on the right. The stainless insert in the other side is a newer modification that I don’t believe has come out yet – wasn’t in any of my most recent shipment. If you just take off the free side of your vise you can tell if you have the Gen II as you’ll see that insert on the fixed side, and on your free side you’ll see the aluminum ground off some where the lower screws presses against it (many people see this the first time and think their bottom screw has broken off and stuck into the free side of the vise)

Also on the Gen I the free side of the vise was slightly shorter than the fixed side and there weren’t indentations for the set screw to lock into on the base rod. If you don’t have these on your system, you can call or email Wicked Edge and get those parts…

Robert Nash
    Participant

Sorry it took so long to get this taken care of – last week was busier than I expected it to be

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.