Advanced Search

Spyderco Balance

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Spyderco Balance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

It’s a great little knife and I use it for practically everything. The design looked odd to me at first but it’s absolutely brilliant

As you can well imagine it took a few tries to get this mounted up in a way I liked.!

But in the end I got a very nice edge. 31° inclusive taken to Naniwa 10k/12k I recently got from Steven.

So, so VERY sharp now!

Enjoy,

Ken

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

Very cool, Ken! I can see how the angled design would be very useful for daily tasks. I don’t know why, but the unusual look that most Spyderco knives sport throws me off so I can never bring myself to really like them despite the excellent quality. I also prefer thumb studs on a folder, though I can deal with a flipper in some cases too. Great knives and lots of folks swear by them, so to each his own 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Very nice.

Maybe next time you touch it up, you could snap a photo of how you set it in the clamp? Would be beneficial.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Very nice.

Maybe next time you touch it up, you could snap a photo of how you set it in the clamp? Would be beneficial.

And enter it in the Knife Database! 🙂

-Clay

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Thanks guys,

I hear you Tom. Thing with this one is it’s so small I had to learn how to open it (the blade is only 1″) Lots of folks (including me) really thought this thing was too small to do anything serious. That impression is wrong. It’s a serious cutting tool.

Like this…..

Trouble is, of course, you loose the metrics to mount it for a quick touch up. So I touch it up once or twice on a SM between sharpenings. At this point I have a good feel for how to mount it, so I’m not off much and the sessions go quick. Probably 25 min total this time.

Ken

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

And enter it in the Knife Database! 🙂

Honestly Clay, I wouldn’t know how to enter it. It’s kinda funky, as you can see.

None the less, I think it came out pretty well.

(the new arms ROCK, by the way!)

Ken

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I think in that case I would lightly scribe the edges of the vise jaws onto the blade for future reference, but that might not be the nicest looking solution 🙂 I have actually used scribe lines or marker dots a few times on the oddball stuff, it tends to at least get you close enough to work with instead of starting from scratch.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Excellent suggestion, Tom. Maybe a razor blade may be able to make a nice subtle mark…..

Thanks!

Ken

Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 31

ApexGS you read my mind. I own one spyderco and that is just because everyone told me what a good knife it was. The look of them just throws me off every time. I ended up with a native and really like the knife but hate the clip. I actually hung up and ripped it off one day. I work on helicpoters so that was a very very bad day looking for a clip and tiny screws on top of a Blackhawk. It is a good knife though and holds a great edge. I can understand why people like the company. I just prefer thumb studs to holes and the blade shapes are very different.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.