Advanced Search

Spam

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Spam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Seems to be a fair amount of spam since the website upgrade.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

You’re telling me!!!

:side:

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

There are 7 articles of SPAM on the forum now someone needs to get a life!! The ones I looked at accidentally contain links to other sites ranging from health products to shoes.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The problem is that neither Wicked Edge, nor the web master can do anything about these spam mails.

These mails may look as if they came from Wicked Edge, but they don’t. Somebody forged the email address of the sender. It gets a bit technical, but if you look at the full email header, you can see that these mails (at least the spam I get) comes from a server at dreamhost.com (more specifically the server benjamin-harrison.dreamhost.com) and not from Wicked Edge or their hoster. It looks like it is either one of the customers of Dreamhost or somebody who hacked their servers (or even computers of one of their clients) who sends these mails.

Most likely the sender of the spam obtained our email addresses during one of the hacks of the Wicked Edge servers. (This is likely, because I have a specific email address that I only use for WEPS-related mail. All spam is sent to that mail address.)

The best thing you can do is keep your computer well secured (virus scanner, firewall, always run updates, never install software from sources you dont know, etc.) and never click on links you don’t trust.

If you’re really annoyed by the spam messages, most email clients let you create a rule that automatically deletes them. But I suspect, given the amateurish looking mails and hacks, that at least these spams will be over in a little while.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant

I must be one of the fortunate few the Spam I have encountered has been confined to the forums earlier this week there was a whole page of them .
    As Mark wrote having an avid curiosity and clicking on links or software that claims to sort out the computer free should be avoided & unfortunately it is Mr Softy computers that are targeted on the whole as with many things we don’t get something for nothing and that normally includes software.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The problem is that neither Wicked Edge, nor the web master can do anything about these spam mails.

They’re actually referring to the forum itself… we got hit with a bunch of spam posts after the upgrade.

Where the heck were you? 👿 🙂

Leo Barr
    Participant

I had those a page full of 7 of them the first page of recent topics I had the impression that some of the members were actually getting spam through forum mails .

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Ah… I was on holiday. When I came back, I found a couple of spams in my mailbox that seemed to originate from Wicked Edge. I was referring to those mails.

Didn’t know there was a spammer active on the forum again… But good job, Curtis! :dry:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.