Advanced Search

Smith’s Edge diamond plate

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Smith’s Edge diamond plate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

A local shop sells Smith’s Edge diamond plates, 750 grit. Is there anyone who can tell me whether these plates are any good and how they compare to DMT/Atoma?

I couldn’t find these plates online, but they look a bit like this one: http://www.smithsproducts.com/product/50271/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

What kind of pricing do they have.
    Usually the type of plate with the holes in them are cheaper.
    For good reason. Plastic is cheaper than steel… and they use fewer diamonds than a continuously coated plate.
    Is this something you would use to lap stones with, or sharpen?

Mark76
    Participant

It is a fairly large plate which I’d use for lapping. I do have an Atoma 140, which works really well, but leaves a coarse finish on high-grit stones. So I’d like a finer diamond plate for these stones.

Of course I could buy an Atoma 600 or 1200, but although their list price is $110, the total price for me would be around $200. (Import taxes and shipping to Europe.) Unless someone knows a European seller of these plates.

The Smiths plate costs around $70 where I live.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=335_462_463

I was looking around and saw some decent reviews on these. People claim they run on the coarse side. Also no idea about the stiction factor… but again, lots of folks seem to like them for the price… about $40 US.

They have them from 150 grit through 1000 grit and also have two sided plates for about $20 more.

BTW, the same web site has decent prices on the Atoma plates as well. With a stone holder (which I don’t need) they are a few bucks cheaper than other places that I have looked at.

People also say that the DMT duo sharp type plates (thin coating on plastic with hoes in it) clog quickly when flattening stones. The Smiths seem to have a similar design. Personally I just have never liked the idea of that design. I can’t say that I have ever tried one… so take that for what it is worth. I always just considered it an attempt to make a cheaper product, not necessarily one that performs as well at the continuously coated plates. I tend to think this idea that the holes trap metal shavings is a marketing gimmick. In the case of lapping, I would be concerned that the material removed from the stones would build up in those holes making the plate less effective.

It seems that people with multiple diamond plates from different sources like the Atoma plates slightly better.. and the seem to the most highly rated other than the Shapton diamond plate(about 300% over priced IMO). I can see why you give pause… $200 for something that is relatively rarely used is pretty hard to handle.

I hope that this might help a bit…

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, Phil.

I also noticed the Smith’s plates looked similar to the DMT ones. I have no experience with DMT, I once bought an Atoma for the same reasons you mention. And I must say, I like it.

I guess it’s the choice between $70 for a product I don’t know, but which could be sub-optimal and $200 for a product I know that will be top. And indeed, for a product I won’t use much…

Still interested if people know the Smith’s plates from first hand!

Mark76
    Participant

Phil, this site you mentioned doesn’t sell Atoma plates just a few bucks cheaper than from the sites I know, but over $40 cheaper! (The main US site I know for this shall remain nameless, but is abbreviated as CKTG – a great store btw. Do you know of any cheaper stores?)

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

That is the least expensive price that I have seen. They come with a stone holder too. I wonder if that could be negotiated…if you don’t need the holder.. I have one that looks exactly like the one that they provide..
    I think I paid something like $15 for it on Ebay. If they would keep the holder and knock a few bucks off of the price… it could be even more attractive.

I too, after all of the talk here, am considering either the 400 or 1200 Atoma or both.

Not sure I really need them.. so it is in the thinking stage..

In any case…maybe I saved you $40 if that is the way you decide to go..
    🙂

BTW here is a place in Denmark that sells them $142. But maybe you would not get hit with all of the other costs:

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/ATOMA-140-Diamond-Plate-p/124.htm

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/ATOMA-400-Diamond-Plate-p/126.htm
    $135

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks again, Phil! You’re about to become my personal shopping guide 😉 .

I’m in the same boat as you are. I’m considering a finer diamond plate for lapping after all the talk here. But first I want to see with my own eyes that it is advantageous. I’ve read contradictory stories on other forums.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Would buying form that store in Denmark save you anything on the import charges etc??
    Do you pay VAT? Not at all sure how all of that stuff works. I guess we are a bit spoiled here..
    So at their price, would you save anything over getting the Atoma at that $85 price and paying the shipping and taxes etc. ??

I’ve read contradictory stories on other forums.

Care to point me in that direction. I would like to read these opinions.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I do have an Atoma 140, which works really well, but leaves a coarse finish on high-grit stones. So I’d like a finer diamond plate for these stones.

As an alternative… you can, after lapping on the 140, just use a small fine diamond stone, and smooth out the finish.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.