Advanced Search

should i be concerned ? / should i replace??

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business should i be concerned ? / should i replace??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

please see attached pic. of WE vise – right side and advise.
    thanks
    max

Attachments:
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hey that looks like mine. Hasn’t bothered me but since you brought it up, I grabbed some gorilla glue and a dime. I bet a small steel washer would work just the same.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Dan, I see your 10¢ and raise you my 2¢.

I like your idea. How long has the dime been holding up to the
    torque and pressure of the screw?

Max, I’d thought about getting a small carriage bolt, or something to that affect, and fixing it in place.
    If Dan’s dandy dime mod doesn’t cave in, I’ll use it.

Was also thinking of filling the divot with jb weld, and putting a thin piece of Stainless over it.

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Great idea Dan, mine came with the insert, I think they all do now. Since dimes are all copper now, does it show gouges after use or is it working well for you? :unsure:

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Morning Max…………I had the same issue on mine, and I had a local machine shop mill a hole in mine, mill and insert a stainless steel disc, that is just slightly press fitted, and removable should I ever need to change it out.

The way they made it removable was to drill a smaller hole ( like 1/16 or 1/8″ approx. ) all the way through the jaw,before milling the bigger hole to insert the stainless disc. Now, if the disc wears, I can just take a small punch, nail, etc….and drive out the damaged disc and replace as necessary. I also had them mill the hole for the disc just slightly shallower than the thickness of the disc, to give me just a tad bit more clamping power on the bigger / heavier knives.

So far, it has worked like a charm ! ( and he did it for beer and pizza….doesn’t get any better than that ) :woohoo:

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

like your dime idea Dan………….much cheaper than mine, LOL. 😆

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Thanks it was just a quick idea . I do think putting something harder there will last longer. ^a bolt head is a good idea. As it was it wasn’t a big problem but I think now ill have to get creative ha.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Darrell, Outstanding! and for beer and pizza…Nice!

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Dime was another dumb idea. Replaced it with a circular steel knock out and haven’t had any problems yet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.