Advanced Search

Serrated Blades

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Serrated Blades

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

I need some HELP, I’m a wicked edge owner & sharpen knives at farmers markets. I’m getting asked more and more about sharpening serrated knives. Finding good info on the net is a joke. Can anyone help which tools are best, the proper way to remove the burr. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

Hey WM,

Well, you have hit on a sore spot with using plates and stones to sharpen serrations (I am sure there will be flamers on this, flame on). Yes, you can turn the stones at angles while doing a particular dance but good luck. Also, this method can ruin serrations in a few strokes if you are not very very careful.

One of the ways that I do it is with special ceramic tubes from coorstek (think $$$). The problem with this method is the cost, most people will not pay the fee to have them sharpened by these tools. It has been a losing operation for me to use these tools (thus far) and they still are not paid off even remotely.

The second (less effective) way is to use a thick balsa strop and groove the strop to mate with the serration, use a high grit paste, and work the area until you get a decent burr. This way is a cheaper way but again you are looking at time to complete the job and again people complain at the cost … it is murder either way. Good Luck!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Have you seen the Spyderco instruction video on using their Sharpmaker for serrated knives? That’s the way I do it. Obviously, part of the video of specific to the Sharpmaker, but other parts are not and it gives you an overview of the options for sharpening serrated knives. I haven’t got a direct link, but it should be easy to find on Youtube.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hey Marq,

I know it’s not wicked edge related… but I still wanna help out a fellow WE user =)

I sharpen serrated knives all the time. I was in the same boat as you (since I operate a small local blade sharpening business) and could not find a good way to sharpen serrated knives. I tried the sharpmaker, the DMT tapered dia-folds, and even a dowel rod w/ various grit pieces of sandpaper around it… nothing worked well – it would keep the serrations working, but they wouldn’t really be screaming sharp, the way they were from the factory. One of the problems w/ the above mentioned systems is that it does not hit the tips of the serrations and remove the flat spots (if you were to look directly at the edge under a bright light.)

I posted a video below for you on a system that I put together… you can too if you look around (I actually have some stuff laying around if you’re interested, shoot me a pm). I have found no better way, even after searching the entire internet, to sharpen serrated knives. The first one is how I do it… the second one is a bread knife that I sharpened (I post vids on youtube for business 🙂 – the serrations will pop hairs off of your arm when you are done if you do it right =)

Here is an example of what can be done… This is a kitchen knife.

Before:

After:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Great post and videos razoredgeknives, I found, for commercial sharpening, the wheels are the path to head down for serrated blades.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Very nice videos, Josh. Real craftsmanship!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

thanks guys… hope it helps someone out! I didn’t start off on the fiber wheel… I got the .25″ paper wheels, reprofiled and gritted one, and that’s what I used for a long time. The fiber wheel is a recent “upgrade” so i won’t have to re-grit it every 20 knives =)

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Great post REK!

I’ve been using paper wheels ofr things and just about to reprofile a few 1/4’s for serrated’s.

Side note, I’ve been playing with Spiral wheels and rogue also.
    Some trial and error, found I can run a blade with white rogue across a not too ruined blade, on the corner edge, and the right rogue can make a bur and get in the scallops.
    Something to think about.

Bur fully develops due to the rogue. I was really surprised but know the teeth are a bit compromised.
    Down side … it makes a large polish, and if the blade is satin, like normal bread knives, you get a 2 tone. Gonna try a Sisal and see if it works to keep the polish down. Also have seen strange “flapper”?? type wheels, they may work and get in.

But it works. Got a police Spydie push cut and no real abuse to the original blade, but its a high polish blade.
    I’m gonna profile my 1/4 papers for say bread knives like Henkles soon.
    I have a few knives with scallops that need a rebuild.
    Question is time and $ … is it worth it? Gonna play and see.

Again great post and info.

Also, have heard a rumor, not to take away from anything WEPS, that a scissor sharpener out there can be moded to take a paper wheel and using the set arm, do the same with more precision than freehand, but do not have that piece of equip.

Live and learn and expand is the way to success.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.