Advanced Search

Section for knife sharpening business questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Section for knife sharpening business questions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I have seen several people post questions/tips/tricks they do for a blade sharpening business. Most of the time this starts as a hobby with the WEPS because we like sharpening and figure “why not turn this into a small side business to be able to afford more sharpening equipment?” This is what I did (originally on the edge pro, then converted to the WEPS).

I am in the process of growing my business and have a lot of advise on what does/does not work, as well as have questions from time to time about other blade sharpening/business questions (like blade geometry/damage, signs, business cards, marketing strategies, etc). Now, all of it isn’t necessarily WEPS specific, but I think the WEPS forum is one of the closest knit that I have been involved with… and I would appreciate/value the opinions of the other guys here on this specific forum that are trying or have started their own blade sharpening business.

I think it would be a great Idea where we could either have a sticky or a forum subsection for guys that have started their own knife sharpening businesses… I am in the process of setting up my 8×16′ enclosed trailer for mobile blade sharpening, I will try to keep ya’ll posted. Anyway, just a thot… others please post your .02 if clay is even interested in this idea.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I have seen several people post questions/tips/tricks they do for a blade sharpening business. Most of the time this starts as a hobby with the WEPS because we like sharpening and figure “why not turn this into a small side business to be able to afford more sharpening equipment?” This is what I did (originally on the edge pro, then converted to the WEPS).

I am in the process of growing my business and have a lot of advise on what does/does not work, as well as have questions from time to time about other blade sharpening/business questions (like blade geometry/damage, signs, business cards, marketing strategies, etc). Now, all of it isn’t necessarily WEPS specific, but I think the WEPS forum is one of the closest knit that I have been involved with… and I would appreciate/value the opinions of the other guys here on this specific forum that are trying or have started their own blade sharpening business.

I think it would be a great Idea where we could either have a sticky or a forum subsection for guys that have started their own knife sharpening businesses… I am in the process of setting up my 8×16′ enclosed trailer for mobile blade sharpening, I will try to keep ya’ll posted. Anyway, just a thot… others please post your .02 if clay is even interested in this idea.

Josh,

That sounds like a great idea. I’d love to hear from others about what subsections might wanted and I’ll set it up.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

My vote is just a “Sharpening as a Business” section (like you have Knife Shows) with no subsections.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Josh,
    Thanks for a great idea! :woohoo: This right up my ally these days as I’m very early in the game! And as usual I have more questions the answers. :S
    Clay,
    I went back five pages looking for the obvious for sub sections? Some that came to mind were, videos, repairs, marketing,( could have subs, artwork, fliers, cards..) products (not WE tapes, glues…).

This all would be a fantastic aid to me! 😛 I had no idea that when I bought the WE? I would start a little side line of sharpening? :huh: At this point if I can just buy new toys, airplanes and automobiles? :ohmy: I will be happy? I don’t want to get crazy or anything? 😆

Thank you one and all!
    Eamon

Nathan Zumwalt
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I think this would be great topic to add to the forum.

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

A sub category for setups and or other equipment used to perform the sharpening tasks at hand.Pics of theit fair tent, booths, trailers or even that going mobile setup that FlorianPauska had, how people advertise, where they set up and so on.

+1 on adding this section

Josh
    Participant

My vote is just a “Sharpening as a Business” section (like you have Knife Shows) with no subsections.

I agree Curtis… I don’t think we need a bunch of subsections, I guess I need to pick my wording more carefully =). I wouldn’t even mind if it was a “sticky”, then is someone wanted to search that sticky for a keyword they had a question about, it would be easy I would think.

Or just a “sharpening as a business” section where people could post multiple posts about different business related things…

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i like the sound of it

Josh
    Participant

Zig brought up an interesting post for those of us who may sharpen for a business (here). This is one perfect example of what could go in this “sharpening for business” section… Insurance for small sharpening businesses to cover them in case of a liability situation.

I will be going to the Wolff scissor sharpening conference next week where I have been assured I will be able to get in touch w/ the right man who has the answer to “where can I become part of a group insurance policy for my business to cut insurance costs?” I will keep you all updated as to my findings…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.