Advanced Search

second knife sharpened pic

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos second knife sharpened pic

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chaplow
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

This my second sharpening adventure. Turned out pretty nice except I ground the point of the knife down. Not used to this style/shape blade. It was hard to not “round” the tip for some reason. I’m sure my technique will improve. I’m very happy with the edge though!!!

Attachments:
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome! Pretty darn good. That edge looks great!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Looks really good, thanks for posting it! You might try visualizing the stone traveling in a plane down the length of the blade and continuing in that plane as you pass the tip. It’s tempting to rotate the stones inward at the tip as they track along the curve of the blade. Adding a little pressure with your thumbs and visualizing the stone tracking along the plane of the bevel helps. If you find yourself applying pressure more pressure with your fingertips than with your thumbs, you’ll want to equalize the pressure by either adding more pressure with your thumbs or backing off the pressure from your fingertips so you don’t end up with rounded tips. I hope that helps. Nice work on knife #2!

-Clay

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Great tip Clay, thank you……………I was doing the same thing Christopher was and tried exactly what you suggested before having found this post, but still, great tip for beginners trying to grasp the technique of using the WES.

I have found that trying to focus on good technique, and not getting too fast or sloppy goes a long, long way to getting a nice Wicked Edge…..no pun intended. 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I have found that trying to focus on good technique, and not getting too fast or sloppy goes a long, long way to getting a nice Wicked Edge…..no pun intended. 🙂

Yeah when I first started out I watched Clay’s vid and thought I am way to slow! It turns out Clay is like speed lightening and I needed to slow down and just learn some technique? I since have picked up the pace, but I will never be like the Master.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks for posting the pic. This is a hard tip shape to do.

Clay has a good tip.

I would add that I always go tip to heel. This way is easier to set the stone perfect and start from there. I go in just 1 direction to focus on technique as I found the coordination aspect a bit hard at first, especially when trying many directions at once.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

This my second sharpening adventure. Turned out pretty nice except I ground the point of the knife down. Not used to this style/shape blade. It was hard to not “round” the tip for some reason. I’m sure my technique will improve. I’m very happy with the edge though!!!

what degree ?

Christopher Chaplow
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Thanks guys! 20 degrees

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I would add that I always go tip to heel. This way is easier to set the stone perfect and start from there.

I find this leading edge stroke from tip to heel to work great too if I find I am getting faceting at the tip as well (not just rounding it off). It is a bit easier (probably a lot to do with working slower) to keep the stone from rotating so it stays flat against more of the bevel

+1 on Clay’s pressure on the thumbs when your doing the trailing edge heel to tip stroke too

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.