Advanced Search

Scissors

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

Folks.

First hi, from australia.

I don’t sharpen for a living,but do lots and lots of sharpening, mates knifes,daughters and her work mates knifes (shes a chef), I make and sharpen my own tools for work, and I have made a few knives on the side now.

So definetly in the sharpening business, in a round about way.

I recently acquired a wicked edge system, standard with extra grit sizes to 1000, I have in my sharpening arsenal a full kitted tormek, paper wheels, tool and cutter grinder for router bits, drills and so forth

However, have never been able to sharpen hair dressing scissors to the sharpness i need, I can sharpen normal scissors to more than a satisfactory end result,

I think the wicked edge system, has potential to achieve the desired edge on a pair of hair dressing scissors, but really need to know if anyone has managed to set there system up to do it yet

Steve

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Now, like Dan, it’s’s time to get a little crafty… :side:

Wicked Edge Scissor Adapter- diy: http://youtu.be/LBcQGc5UmrI

Steve
    Participant

Thanks for the link, good to see I’m not the only one trying to re-invent the wheel.

The wicked edge has the potential to get the sharp razor edge better than most sharpening systems I have seen, other than a dedicated scissor sharpener.

I currently get hair dressing scissors sharp on the tormek,and they cut nice, but they can not do the half position slice, that’s where you half close the jaws and move the scissors through the hair and it should slice the hairs with no movement of the jaws

Be interesting if the manufacturer came up with a jig, like there chisel adaptor for the WE

Steve

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I’ve been interested in sharpening scissors as well for local hairdressers. I imagine each brand will have a different factory angle, and I understand it’s a convex bevel but can anyone tell me what the apex angle would be roughly?

P. S. Welcome to the Forum 🙂

Steve
    Participant

Scissor angles are so everywhere.

I’ve ground some at 35 degrees and others at almost 60 degrees,

For hair dressing, they have to be hair popping sharp, my wife was a hairdresser and her friends are hair dressers, the half position slice is the check for correct, if it’s wrong. it will almost feel like someone is doing little hair pulls whilst your hair is being cut. Horrible feeling

Steve

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

I’ve been interested in sharpening scissors as well for local hairdressers. I imagine each brand will have a different factory angle, and I understand it’s a convex bevel but can anyone tell me what the apex angle would be roughly?

P. S. Welcome to the Forum 🙂

Majority of Convex seem to be 45 degrees … BEFORE another sharpener gets to them 🙂
    I scratch test at 45 and adjust from there. Have found Convex as low as 25 and up to 60s, but 35 – 45 is the main range I come across on SHARPENED Convex salon shears.

The other thing you need to pay attention to is your inside ride line … all the difference between a cut or pinch/pull.

Also plenty of single bevel out there, angle varies, but they are as low as 10 degrees so there’s room for the WEPS in there. There’s a plastic tool out there for flats, a basic 2 piece hinged angle meter, you lay the blade flat, close the marked meter till no space is left at the apex, pretty accurate, scratch test from there.

Also … Welcome Aboard!

Ziggy
    Participant

For hair dressing, they have to be hair popping sharp, my wife was a hairdresser and her friends are hair dressers, the half position slice is the check for correct, if it’s wrong. it will almost feel like someone is doing little hair pulls whilst your hair is being cut. Horrible feeling

Steve

Steve,
    Test on wet perm paper works.
    You cut clean to the tip with zero tear or fold or hangup you’re in.
    Single ply wet tissue paper works too.

Steve
    Participant

Zig, when you are referring to your inside ride line, are you inferring that the ride line is actual bevelled as well. If so I was unaware of this

I have always re-sharpened scissors so they are like a chisel, with a main cutting edge and smooth back face, but the jaws are still arched along there length, maybe that is the issue I have been having with hair dressing scissors

Steve

Ziggy
    Participant

Zig, when you are referring to your inside ride line, are you inferring that the ride line is actual bevelled as well. If so I was unaware of this

I have always re-sharpened scissors so they are like a chisel, with a main cutting edge and smooth back face, but the jaws are still arched along there length, maybe that is the issue I have been having with hair dressing scissors

Steve

Look at the inside concave.
    You’ll see a reverse J going from the screw/pivot to the tip at the other side of the convex.
    The inside Rideline.

All other things be perfect, if this ride line is not perfect, the scissor fails and the scissor is naturally bent and meant to straighten on that line.

Steve
    Participant

Cool, yes I know what you are talking about now, that’s one handy thing with the tormek sharpener, it allows you to ride that line nicely without altering it,

The scissors I sharpen are sharp, for normal use around a house “perfect”, Hair dressing ones for clipping perfect, but try and slice with the hair dressing ones and they tug /pull slightly.

So really keen to modify the WE to be able to achieve that perfect smooth edge.

Note, I dont sharpen for money, I do this for family and friends and for my work purposes only, drill bits, router bits, milling bits, wood chisels, knives, scissors, all not an issue except the one thing the wife wants “hair dressing scissors”, typical hey..

Steve

Ziggy
    Participant

Steve

I missed this line.

The ride line is flat and polished, not beveled.
    Best done on a Flat stone.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Steve

Steve,
    Test on wet perm paper works.
    You cut clean to the tip with zero tear or fold or hangup you’re in.
    Single ply wet tissue paper works too.[/quote]

I gotta try those tests on the scissors I’ve been sharpening (only my own and my families). What’s the opposite of “passing with flying colors”?

I’ve got a local “in” to salon scissors. But, those $ 150 + scissors are beautiful, precise and their users need them perfect. So, I’m not ready to try that level of scissors. Another market over my head is surgical/doctor/bandage scissors.

Yeah, a lot are disposable but I know there are a lot of doctor’s who find a favorite pair or brand and would pay dearly to have them sharp. Again, within my understanding but outside my skill.

But, the daily kitchen and desk scissors I’ll tackle. And, usually, I can easily push cut printer & telephone book paper.

Can hardly wait to try cutting wet tissue.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Steve
    Participant

Appears to be a bit of interest,

I wonder if the manufacturers of wicked edge would consider making a curved holder for doing scissors, they have expanded there accessories to do chisels, scissors are probably a more lucrative option for anyone considering doing sharpening for a living and having the wicked edge system in there tool arsenal.

Steve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.