Advanced Search

RSS Feed from Forums Broken

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box RSS Feed from Forums Broken

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Stasel
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 56

okay, it isn’t perfectly validating (there’s currently no guid’s), but here ya go:

Validator
    RSS Fixer

[code]<?php
    header('Content-Type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8');
    function get_url_contents($url) {
    //echo $url;
    $crl = curl_init();
    $timeout = 5;
    curl_setopt ($crl, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
    curl_setopt ($crl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    //curl_setopt ($crl, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, $timeout);
    curl_setopt ($crl, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
    curl_setopt ($crl, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, "Mozilla/4.0");
    $ret = curl_exec($crl);
    curl_close($crl);
    return $ret;
    }

$url = 'http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=rss&Itemid=63&#039;;
    $feed = get_url_contents($url);
    //$feed_array = explode("r", $feed);
    $feed_array = preg_split('/n|r/', $feed, -1, PREG_SPLIT_NO_EMPTY);
    foreach($feed_array as $line) {
    if(preg_match("”,$line)) {
    $fixed = preg_replace(“/&/”, “&”, $line);
    $root_link_parts = preg_split(‘/>|</', $fixed, -1);
    $root_link = $root_link_parts[2];
    //$fixed = $fixed . "n" . '’ . $root_link . ”;
    } elseif(preg_match(“//”,$line) == 1) {<br /> $fixed = preg_replace(“/&/”, “”, $line);<br /> } elseif(preg_match(“//”,$line) == 1) {<br /> $fixed = ”;<br /> } elseif(preg_match(‘//’, $line)) {<br /> $fixed = $line . “n” . ”;<br /> } else {<br /> $fixed = $line;<br /> }<br /> echo $fixed . “n”;<br /> }</p> <p>?>[/code]

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

Got GUID’s working.

Now the only error is the image “link”. But that’s really nothing, other than just being nit picky.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks Staze for bringing this up and all your help in getting it resolved!

Got GUID’s working.

Now the only error is the image “link”. But that’s really nothing, other than just being nit picky.

-Clay

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

no prob. It’d been bugging me for a bit, but I figured I’d finally report it. =P

Until now I hadn’t done the legwork to actually figure out what was going on, just that the links didn’t work.

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

Obviously the issue should be fixed via patching Kunena, but my code should fix a general idea of the issue. The biggest one, is not HTML encoding the url’s under . Once that’s addressed, I’m guessing the RSS will validate, albeit messily.

If I have time tomorrow I’ll look at the code for 1.6 and see if I can figure out where it’s going wrong.

And Clay, this is the least I can do given the product. =)

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

Okay, found the fix.

After installing Joomla 1.5.21, and Kunena 1.6, I found the configuration option that’s the issue.

In the Joomla administration area, under Components, Kunena Forum, Configuration. In there is an RSS tab. Change the RSS Specification to RSS 2.0, and save. That should fix the issue. I’m guessing right now it’s set to RSS 0.91, or RSS 1.0, both of which are pretty old at this point, and setting them that way is not really needed anymore.

Give that a shot, and let me know, and I’ll give it a test. Weird that RSS previous to 2.0 allowed non-encoded URLs….

Thanks!

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

Though now that I look at the RSS feed raw, it says it’s RSS 2.0, but obviously isn’t valid.

Any chance you could tell which which specific version numbers of Kunena and Joomla are being run? I only see the major versions (Joomla 1.5, and Kunena 1.6).

Or maybe just the version of joomla/libraries/joomla/document/feed/renderer/rss.php (version should be at the top).

I’m a bit confused, as it seems like link’s in general aren’t being url encoded… which makes me think something is wonky.

Thanks!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Here are the Joomla! specs:

PHP Built on: Windows NT WEBB38 6.1 build 7601
    Database Version: 5.0.54-log
    Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
    PHP Version: 5.2.17
    Web Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
    Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
    Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.20 Stable [ senu takaa ] 18-July-2010 18:00 GMT
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/22.0.1229.92 Safari/537.4

and the Kunena specs:

Installed version: Kunena 1.6.3

-Clay

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

excellent. I’ve recreated the issue with those versions. Now I get to find the fix. =)

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

okay, got it fixed. Attached is a patch, and here’s the manual way to do it.

In joomla/libraries/joomla/document/feed/renderer, there’s rss.php. Open that up, and change line 123 from:

[code]$feed.= ” “.str_replace(‘ ‘,’%20’,$data->items[$i]->link).”n”;[/code]

to

[code]$feed.= ” “.htmlspecialchars($data->items[$i]->link, ENT_COMPAT, ‘UTF-8’).”n”;[/code]

then just comment out the next line, 124, with two forward slashes infront of it, so it looks like:

[code]//$feed.= “”.str_replace(‘ ‘,’%20’,$data->items[$i]->link).”n”;[/code]

That’s all there is to it. Save and you’re done.

So, the question is, why it’s like this. Honestly, I don’t know. The commented out part is likely because one person added some code and forgot to remove the old. All it does is fix the “duplicate GUID” validation issue. The first part of the code is to encode the url to be html safe, so replace & with &, spaces with %20, etc. Previously all they were doing was replacing spaces with %20. The other validation errors are annoying, but they’re mainly cosmetic.

Obviously create a backup of rss.php before making changes, but having tested these with the same Joomla and Kunena versions, I’m fairly confident they’ll work. Please let me know!

Attachments:
    Wicked Edge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

Hi Staze. Made your changes please check on your end. Thanks!

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

Fascinating. Still doesn’t work with Google Reader. But the w3c validator comes back “clean”.

Only thing I can imagine is that it’s the validator error saying “Your feed appears to be encoded as “utf-8”, but your server is reporting “US-ASCII”

I’m not positive here, but that’s all I can figure.

See here: http://forums.iis.net/p/1155439/1894464.aspx#1894464

Seems like we should just make .php encoding UTF-8. That’s all I can figure at this point. =/

Ryan Stasel
    Participant

Okay, well, either something else got tweaked, or Google was caching bad data, or maybe the webserver was caching the previous php or output. Anyway, it’s working now. =D The URL’s are proper, and link to the appropriate articles. W3validator still shows the ASCII/UTF error, but I honestly don’t think that’s a huge issue unless you got non-english symbols in the URL (which I’m guessing won’t happen anyway).

Thanks for your help on this. Now I can actually use the reader feed. =)

Let me know if you need any additional info, testing, etc. =)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.