Advanced Search

Re-Shaped Bone Collector

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Re-Shaped Bone Collector

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Zach Thompson
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 12

I was given a Benchmade Bone Collector as a gift. I really liked the handle, and it was my first D2 blade. The one thing I wasn’t crazy about was the shape of the blade. I decided to grind off the hump on the back. I was very careful to keep the blade cool so I wouldn’t mess up the temper / heat treatment. See the before and after below. I just love it now.

Attachments:
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Very nice. I think I’m going to do that to mine too, like you, I’m not too crazy about the shape. Sorta kills the tip.

How’s the edge holding up for you? I started a thread on this… initially it didn’t do so well, but now seems to be fine.

Great job! :woohoo:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Excellent job!

I really like the original shape, so I wouldn’t have done it. But it came out great.

Ken

Zach Thompson
    Participant

So far the edge is fine, but it hasn’t really been tested. It’s generally just used for opening letters and boxes. I think it will be fine. I used a low speed belt sander with a 50 grit belt to remove most of the metal. I kept a cup of ice water near by and dunked it and held it until ice cold about every 5 – 10 seconds and the blade never felt more than slightly warm to the touch. I took the last 1/32″ or so off with conventional and diamond stones by hand.

Edit: Also, I used a post-it and a sharpie layout a straight edge so I could see my progress. It’s still not dead flat on the top, but I accomplished what I wanted. It can now stab into stuff and I personally prefer the look.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Man, that looks good! I think I’m going to do that on mine as well… Would be nice to have a tip again.

Another thing I think I might mod is the handle… It just feels to “square” right now and digs into my hands on the corners… I want to round those off a bit. Any suggestions? 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant

Thank you for the motivation!!!

Much better!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

(Sorry I don’t have any suggestions for the handle… not very good at messing with that).

Attachments:
    Zach Thompson
    Participant

Very nice. Now you won’t have to change knives to get the dirt out of your finger nails.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice work. Curtis, did you do that just now?

cbwx34
    Participant

Yea, this afternoon. Probably took a couple hours give or take… mostly on a belt sander. (I started on the Tormek, but it was too slow). Can’t say for sure how long… I kept getting interrupted.

I like this shape mucho better. 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Looks good Curtis!! Thanks for posting! I will have to do mine soon 🙂 man I really love the edge retention on this blade…. Need to do some edge comparisons too lol

James Bare
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Looks great, maybe you should send it as a suggestion to benchmade. The bone collectors are almost like the original sheepfoot bladed flat ground griptilian blades which I like better than the hollow ground ones they make now. I don’t see any reason why they can’t make the drop point blade like on the 551 but with a hole for the bc line. I know I would be standing in line to get one if bm did offer a blade like that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.