Advanced Search

Pro Pack Upgrade kit problem – Long Screw

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Pro Pack Upgrade kit problem – Long Screw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Blaida
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 7

Hi,

Today I got the upgrade kit for the pro-pack arms and the long screw that goes through the extended block into the clamp is not threading… it can slide in and out of the clamp screw hole all the way with almost no contact on the threads. The original short screw works fine, but now I can’t use the extension block. The whole system will still work with the original screw, but I’d like to get this fixed… what is nomenclature of the upgrade kit long screw? I don’t mind going to the store to get a new one if that fixes it. If it doesn’t, I can take a video of the problem and see if it’s alright to get a new clamp or something.

Plz halp?

Also the whole system is incredible… when i first saw a picture of it I knew immediately I had to have one and have wound up putting a whole lot of money into this thing and would gladly pay it all again, I love this sharpener! Us Army veterans like shiny things and I drool over every edge I bring to a mirror shine. The new pro arms are so f’ing killer too… I really can’t quite foresee how badass the edge these knives are going to get now until I do one (time to break out the wustofs). It’s so much fun too… thanks for the awesome system Wicked Edge team!

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351
    Andrew Blaida
    Participant

Is it the same thread size as the short one?

Will the short one screw directly into the clamp?

The long screw must have a tiny bit shorter thread height, since the short original screw fits in fine. I put so much teflon tape on the long screw that it wouldn’t even fit through the blocks to get to the clamp hole, and tried it on it’s own and could move it all the way in and out and still not get the threads to catch.

So for now I’ll use it without the extender block and just work the bottom half of the stones hehe… until we can get a fix for this 🙂

Chris
    Participant

… and tried it on it’s own and could move it all the way in and out and still not get the threads to catch.

So for now I’ll use it without the extender block and just work the bottom half of the stones hehe… until we can get a fix for this 🙂

It should be a 2 inch, #10-32 socket head cap screw.
    Replacing the shorter 1 inch original.

Is it not the same thread size as the short one?

I would put loctite on the thread rather than thread tape.
    Thread tape is more of a sealant.

Andrew Blaida
    Participant

… and tried it on it’s own and could move it all the way in and out and still not get the threads to catch.

It should be a 2 inch, #10-32 socket head cap screw.
    Replacing the shorter 1 inch original.

Is it not the same thread size as the short one?

I would put loctite on the thread rather than thread tape.
    Thread tape is more of a sealant.[/quote]

it’s not an issue of loctite… the threads are not grabbing. I can move the screw in and out without turning it… even with the increased width of the teflon tape, it still won’t grab.

I’ll check out the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find one, thanks for the thread size!

Chris
    Participant

it’s not an issue of loctite… the threads are not grabbing. I can move the screw in and out without turning it… even with the increased width of the teflon tape, it still won’t grab.

I’ll check out the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find one.

Yes, sorry Andrew, that was an additional comment.
    You may have an #8-32 screw or similar?

Obviously you have confirmed the clamp has a thread tapped and that it is #10-32.

So the obvious is thread size.
    I understand now that you were putting thread tape on it to increase the diameter. 😉

Andrew Blaida
    Participant

I’ll know for sure tomorrow, will hit up the hardware store.

thanks again

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Send a PM to Clay (user: wicked edge) He will take care of you.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That is really bizarre. To be clear, the 2″ screw does not thread at all into the bottom of the Fixed Vise Jaw? Can you compare the diameter, just by eye would be fine, of the old screw vs. the new one?

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

Also the whole system is incredible… when i first saw a picture of it I knew immediately I had to have one and have wound up putting a whole lot of money into this thing and would gladly pay it all again, I love this sharpener!

It was pretty much the same for me too.

I had no idea it existed, but somehow knew there would be a better option than my old Lansky out there somewhere.
    Every time I used my Lansky I thought, why can’t they make this a solid mounted device?
    Why only one side at a time, a knife steel alternates sides with each swipe.

It was time for new stones again and I thought, Google is my friend.
    In my opinion it was an obvious choice, couldn’t believe it was exactly what I was looking for.

The rest is history, now I’m addicted! :kiss:

I love shiny things too.

I made the right choice.

Andrew Blaida
    Participant

That is really bizarre. To be clear, the 2″ screw does not thread at all into the bottom of the Fixed Vise Jaw? Can you compare the diameter, just by eye would be fine, of the old screw vs. the new one?

Upon a much closer inspection, and as good as I can tell, the two screws are the same size.. HOWEVER, the threads in the clamp are stripped all the way up to about 1/4″ in. The short screw had enough length to reach the area that wasn’t stripped, but the long screw is falling just short with everything put together.
    I didn’t see any metal fall out when I took it apart, so I have to assume it was stripped like that from the start.
    No big deal, I’ll see if I can find a screw that is a tad longer. If it doesn’t do the trick, can I send in the clamp?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for clarifying. I’m sorry for the trouble. We can get a new clamp on the way to you ASAP if you don’t find a longer screw or don’t feel like messing with it.

-Clay

Andrew Blaida
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying. I’m sorry for the trouble. We can get a new clamp on the way to you ASAP if you don’t find a longer screw or don’t feel like messing with it.

No problem… I’ll hunt down a longer screw tomorrow. I’ll post up the results, thanks!

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

Watch your length carefully on the new screw. I was so excited when I got my upgrade, I started putting it together without the crossbar in place and my screw bottomed out before getting to the base. So you’re only going to have maybe 1/4″ or less to play with.

Andrew Blaida
    Participant

I got a pack of #10-32×2.5″ from the hardware store, and cut off a tad to get it close. It was still a bit too long, so I put one of the nuts on it that came with it and it works as supposed to now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Just finished my benchmade triage at 19 degrees up to .5micron and will post up pictures in a bit. The tight fit of the pro arms and superb adjustability with the angle cube made for a very precise edge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.