Advanced Search

Precision Sharpener vs Field and Sport

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Precision Sharpener vs Field and Sport

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Clay Harmony
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I’m trying to decide between the Precision Sharpener with Pro Pack II upgrade and the Field and Sport Pro. The price for each would be the same (~$450).

It looks like with the Field and Sport Pro, I’d get 2 extra sets of stones (800 and 1000 grit), plus a wider angle range (13-35 vs 15-30).

Functionally, what differences are there between those two options, other than a fixed stand vs a clamp? Is there anything else I should be considering in my decision?

Thanks,
    clay.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The main difference is that you need some sort of a base with the Precision Sharpener + Pro-Pack II Upgrade Kit whereas the Field and Sport Pro uses a C-Clamp. Both have depth keys and alignment guides. The angle range on both is the same, 13-35; the PPII Upgrade kit includes the wider angle range. So, all in all, you get more bang for your buck with the F&S Pro because you don’t need to buy/make a base, you get the 800/1000 stones and a carrying case.

-Clay

Clay Harmony
    Participant

Thanks for the quick and informative reply, Clay.

I’m leaning heavily toward the Field and Sport because of the portability and the extra stones. It sounds like I don’t lose any functionality, which was my main concern. I can’t see any downside.

Thanks again.

clay.

Clay Harmony
    Participant

Doing a bit more reading and research, it sounds like the knife clamp may be a bit different in each. The traditional sharpener has two sets of holes and a depth key. The Field and Sport does not seem to, based on the photos I’ve seen. (Although, the instructions here[/url] seem to indicate that it does have the depth holes. So, I’m confused.)

What are the pros and cons of each clamping mechanism?

Thanks,
    clay.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

The clamp is the same if I’m not mistaken. I can’t think of a reason why it would be different since both the top and bottom screws are crucial to clamping strength, which is a key function of the vise.

As for which one you should purchase? Go with the PP1. The Field and Sport is made to be thrown in a pack and taken to camp, the woods, etc. If you’re sharpening at home and want a more permanent set-up, get a mounting base and you’ll be right as rain!

wickededge
    Keymaster

The new F&S Pros all have two holes for depth settings and built in alignment guides.

-Clay

Clay Harmony
    Participant

I’m confused. I received my F&S Pro today, but it does not have the depth setting holes. I purchased from Oldawan Tools via Amazon. Did I get old stock? I’ve attached a couple of photos.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’m confused. I received my F&S Pro today, but it does not have the depth setting holes. I purchased from Oldawan Tools via Amazon. Did I get old stock? I’ve attached a couple of photos.

It looks like you did. The dealers are supposed to be clarifying between the newer ones and the older. We’ll check with Bob at Oldawan and get you straightened out. Please keep it new and it should be a very easy exchange.

-Clay

Clay Harmony
    Participant

Darn, I was looking forward to starting on my sharpening journey this weekend. Patience, patience…

Here’s the page I purchased from. It does say “Includes newest Wicked Edge hardware designs…”

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Edge-Field-Sport-Pro/dp/B00IT6X9B4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417823005&sr=8-1&keywords=wicked+edge+field+%26+sport+pro

For now, I’ll go back to occupying myself by window shopping for new knives.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.