Advanced Search

Plastic shoulders on stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Plastic shoulders on stones

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Toney Copen
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Clay,

I ran into an issue that you might want to address sometime in the future. A lot of my knives have a lip at the back of the blade. The issue is that the stones have a plastic shoulder that is wider than the actual stone. This plastic shoulder catches this lip and doesn’t allow the stone to come into contact with the very back of the blade. So essentially the back of the blade doesn’t get sharpened. To remedy this I sanded all of the shoulders down to be even with the stone. This corrected the issue. It isn’t an issue with all knives, just with knives that have the lip on the back of the blade. You might want think of offering stones without the over reaching plastic shoulders.

[/URL]

[/URL]

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Clay,

I ran into an issue that you might want to address sometime in the future. A lot of my knives have a lip at the back of the blade. The issue is that the stones have a plastic shoulder that is wider than the actual stone. This plastic shoulder catches this lip and doesn’t allow the stone to come into contact with the very back of the blade. So essentially the back of the blade doesn’t get sharpened. To remedy this I sanded all of the shoulders down to be even with the stone. This corrected the issue. It isn’t an issue with all knives, just with knives that have the lip on the back of the blade. You might want think of offering stones without the over reaching plastic shoulders.

[/URL]

Hey Toney,

I know just what you mean. I like the wider lip to protect people’s fingers, but a taller stone would do the trick too.

-Clay

Toney Copen
    Participant

That would be the ticket. Thanks for the quick response.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I like taller stones as it allows working more easily in curved areas.

Toney Copen
    Participant

I’m all for it. I’ll be waiting for their release.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m not trying to push them, but the Choseras are taller already and are great for the Spydercos and such as well as curvy blades.

-Clay

Toney Copen
    Participant

Ha,

I hear you Clay. I’ll just stick with sanding for now, it works just fine. I will say that sanding the lips off of eight sets of stones does take quite some time. It took me a good part of the night to finish the sanding job, lol, but well worth it B) .

STEVE
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I used a dremel tool and removed the plastic lip on my diamond stones and my strops, problem solved.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.