Advanced Search

Pitting on a Blade – is this a bad idea?

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Pitting on a Blade – is this a bad idea?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

First I apologize if this isn’t in the right forum, but it really only ‘fit’ here.
    While lurking on a sword board, guys were complaining about relatively deep rust pits in swords/knives.
    The only real solution is sand them out, and that removes potentially lots of metal.
    And during a bout of insomnia…an idea came up.

If you were working with wood, you could find a close match and fill the hole with glue/sawdust to hide a ding/hole.

So if you use low temperature solder, do you think this would work? Most solder to be ‘low temp’ is between 50-180C. So at the real low temperature end, do you think this may work and you could hide the pits by filling them with solder?
    I don’t know enough about the fine points in tempering, so this may just screw up the temper.

Plus, from a visual standpoint, you’d end up with mismatched dots of different silver.
    I am sorely tempted to try this, just for kicks on a crusty blade in my garage.

But I’d love to hear any advice from the group. Hell, I may have come up with something brand new…nah.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I think you’d be better off using an epoxy style coating similar to the kind of thing ESEE and Busse do.

Ken

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.