Advanced Search

Over applied paste…

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Strops Over applied paste…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sharp1
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Greetings!  New WEPster (PP2) here.

In keeping with my uncanny tendency to choose the worst option when presented with several options, I applied a whole syringe of diamond paste to my brand new strops. Yes both. Don’t ask. Not surprisingly, this created quite a mess and resulted with a goodly portion of the paste being discarded.  Aside from the waste, must I consider any lasting damage to the strops?  Also, am curious if once a strop has been “pasted”, can one switch to spray, or must I use dedicated strops?  (And yes, I know not to spray the whole bottle.) Many thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. A whole syringe, wow! 😉 You need only a pearl-sized drop. Just scrape the excess off with a knife and you won’t have done any damage to your strops.

Once you’ve applied a particular paste or spray you should only apply another paste or spray that is coarser. If it is finer than the original stuff, the original coarse abrasive will still dominate.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cliff58
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Welcome Mike,I needed a good laugh today-stick around,you can learn a lot here-I know I have,a bunch of tips and good info.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.