Advanced Search

Ordered the wicked edge what extra stones to get?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Ordered the wicked edge what extra stones to get?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Long
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 21

Hey all.. I ordered the Wicked Edge last night (already shipped should be here wednesday)

I ordered the basic kit that comes with 100/200 and 400/600 stones.. I then ordered the 800/1000 grit stones and the upgraded arms separate

Im curious what other accessory stones you guys would recommend? I would like to be able to take some of my blades to a nice mirror polish.. I know one of the recommendations will be a strop set so which strops are recommended? I would prefer to only need one set of strops

Zach Harrel
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

That’s nuts. I ordered mine over a month ago and it still hasn’t shipped…

I’d like to pick up the upgrade kit and the ceramics for now, and eventually get the choseras

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

We’ve got a thread (one of many) on the very topic of mirror finishes…

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=9450&Itemid=63

Kinda depends on, as others say, how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

I personally like the Micro Fine ceramics… finish a lot of knives with those.

If i had to pick one set of strops, it would probably be the 5/3.5 combo.

I’m sure others will chime in with their preferences…

Have fun!

Jeremy Long
    Participant

That’s nuts. I ordered mine over a month ago and it still hasn’t shipped…

I’d like to pick up the upgrade kit and the ceramics for now, and eventually get the choseras

Just so you know I didnt order directly through wicked edge.. I ordered from a company on Amazon that had them in stock

Zach Harrel
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

Genius! I wish I had done something similar.

Jeremy Long
    Participant

Until I feel like throwing more money into this knife sharpening hobby (ive spent a lot on it i bought 300 dollars worth of bench stones about 6 months ago also) Is it ok to tape different grits of sandpaper onto the wicked edge stones? I saw a youtube video where a guy did this and got good results.. im just worried the friction will cause the diamonds to eat through the sandpaper and perhaps damage the stone

cbwx34
    Participant

Until I feel like throwing more money into this knife sharpening hobby (ive spent a lot on it i bought 300 dollars worth of bench stones about 6 months ago also) Is it ok to tape different grits of sandpaper onto the wicked edge stones? I saw a youtube video where a guy did this and got good results.. im just worried the friction will cause the diamonds to eat through the sandpaper and perhaps damage the stone

What benchstones did you get?

I’ve taped sandpaper to leather and gotten good results… I can’t think of how it would damage the diamond stones. I would use the finest diamond stones you have… so you’d have a smooth backing.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

That would be my recommendation. As much as I love my Choseras and Superstones (and lust over Shaptons) my micro fine ceramics get used on every knife I do. Great ending place and great place to proceed on to water stones if/when the time comes.

Ken

Jeremy Long
    Participant

Will the jump from 1000 grit diamond to the micro fine ceramics be ok? Or should I get the 1600 grit ceramics?

cbwx34
    Participant

I did a post on Micro Fine’s after the 600g stone, you’ll start to see some polish, but the scratches of the stone are still visible. So after the 1000g stone, it’ll be more polish, less scratches.

Again it depends on what you’re after… if you’re striving for polish/mirror bevels… the more steps you take, the better the results.

Jeremy Long
    Participant

Oh cool thanks.. Kinda wish I would have got those stones before the 800/1000’s now… Looks like the microfine ceramics and a set of strops will be my next knife related purchases 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

+1

If i had to pick one set of strops, it would probably be the 5/3.5 combo.

+1

That would be my recommendation. As much as I love my Choseras and Superstones (and lust over Shaptons) my micro fine ceramics get used on every knife I do. Great ending place and great place to proceed on to water stones if/when the time comes.[/quote]
    +1

:cheer: I may sound silly, but I really think this is the best advice.

Will the jump from 1000 grit diamond to the micro fine ceramics be ok? Or should I get the 1600 grit ceramics?

Either the micro fine ceramics or the 1200/1600 ceramics are fine. As Curtis wrote, you may be able to jump to these ceramics after the 600 grit diamond stones, but then it’ll be a lot of work to remove the scratches. Not recommended.

Success!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I’m a new WE owner and am looking for a mirror finish? (See chosera vs ceramics thread?) I called Bob at Oldawan who had my We in stock when I bought and he made me a custom set of chosera’s. He thought doing a 1/2k and 2/5k should cover the field for me? I will report by Friday on my progress.

Jeremy Long
    Participant

Pretty cool the guy made you custom WE stones.. Choseras are probably the best route as far as getting a mirror polish goes (having seen how well the chosera bench stones do)

Id personally prefer to keep away from them with the wicked edge system though.. To much maintenance which is the main reason I chose the WE over the Edge pro

Jeremy Long
    Participant

Welp my wicked edge kit is waiting at my door step for me to come home from work.. Accessory stones weren’t delivered yet so ill only be able to try it up to 600 grit… Regardless I can’t wait to go home and try it out.. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.