Advanced Search

Optimal angles

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Optimal angles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    William
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Is there a source for optimal edge angles for different tasks? i.e. chef, boning, paring, slicing etc? Just thought I would try for some assistance again.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Chefs max 18dps
    Boning 23 dps
    Paring 18dps max

Often you can go much lower it depends on the use the quality of the steel if in use and lower angles have been used and chipping occurs raise the angle.
    Boning knives are with a stout primary bevel only hence 23dps

Leo Nav

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I guess part of this depends on what your definition for “optimal” is.

For me, “optimal” is the smallest angle that will hold up for a reasonable amount of use. (I can’t quantify reasonable amount of time, say a few months). Most of my cutting tasks are slicing vs. chopping.

I did all of my kitchen knives at 20 dps. I redid a 5 1/2″ Santuko and 8″ Chef knife at 25 dps. as they edge didn’t hold up well enough for me at 20 dps. While I don’t “chop” with paring knives they end up cutting stuff on a cutting board. I have a 10″ carving knife I did at 15 dps, it does well for slicing. I never chop with it, and am careful not hit bones too hard.

Based on experience I set my favorite EDC knives (Benchmade Ritter Mini’s) at 15 dps with the CPM-M4 blades, and 17.5 dps on the S30V blades. I find the S30V can’t hold an acute edge as well as the M4. I have also dialed back other S30V blades from 15 to 17.5 and 20 dps.

Leo is right, blade steel also plays a part in how low you can go.

I don’t always agree with the factory edge setting but I always use the WEPS to figure out what the factory edge is. Then I consider how it has performed so far and decide if I want to change it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.