Advanced Search

Not so Welcome

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Not so Welcome

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

I just received my $700 Pro 1 with the the case and a few extra accessory stones.

I was excited to use the WE for the first time. While putting it together, I noticed one of the arms is much tighter than the other. One will fall to the table and the other will stay where you put it.

I figure for $700, they should be pretty close to the same?

I call the number and a female answers the phone. I explained the problem and she tells me to put a little bit of oil on the arm. I say no problem, but what if that does not fix it? She said a new joint would be $19. I said isn’t this thing under warranted? I have not even used it yet. She says yes it is but the joint will be $19. I was instantly pissed… I said I will box this thing up and return it. She said, try the oil and I will check to see if I can replace the ball joint for free??? With that, it occurred to me that she was talking about the new arm ball joint. I said I have the old style arm. She said, oh, I can replace that for free????

In any case, I can’t believe they would charge to replace a part that was bad from the start.

I put oil on the arm and it is a bit better buy still stays where you put it. I’m not sure if I should have another one sent or just work with this to see if it loosens up.

Thoughts?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It sounds like it was just a misunderstanding… pretty sure it’s covered under warranty for no $.

I’d see if it loosens up, if not, call back and ask for Kyle.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I know what Johnny feels like. I get something new and expect it to be perfect.
    That being said, I would use it for awhile, as it will probably loosen up. If it is not binding and causing real problem with range of motion, it should not affect your edges.

I don’t want to be perceived as trying to minimize the issue nor discount your feelings, but it doesn’t sound like you have a problem that will impact the operation of your new sharpener.

BTW They specifically started adding washers to the arms and screws that can be tightened to make sure there was little play in the joint. The ones I got were actually sort of adjustable by tightening or loosening the screw that they installed for the rod to joint connection. If yours are the same (and you did not mention which part of the joint was stiff) you might just loosen that screw a little bit.

Also, I agree with Curtis, I think that there must have been some misunderstanding. Anytime that I have had any problem, no matter how small, the Crew at WEPS has bent over backwards to make it right.

In any case, welcome to the forums. I think you will get to where you can be happy about your purchase and will enjoy your machine. I think that you would miss a great experience and lots of very sharp knives if you were to send the sharpener back…

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Funny :ohmy: I have had the loose and the tight joints and I like mine stiffer cause I like to take my [addles off with the rods straight up and down, that way I can just slide the next paddles on without having to lift them. 😛
    Welcome to the forum! Give your WE a chance I just know your going to love it! :woohoo:

John Genovese
    Participant

Funny :ohmy: I have had the loose and the tight joints and I like mine stiffer cause I like to take my [addles off with the rods straight up and down, that way I can just slide the next paddles on without having to lift them. 😛
    Welcome to the forum! Give your WE a chance I just know your going to love it! :woohoo:

Stiff seems to make some sense. But I have one lose and one stiff.

Mine do not have the screws, they are pinned so I can’t adjust them.

I do not plan on sending the WE back, but I was not impressed with the way the call was handled. Poor support can destroy a company. Hopefully this was an isolated indecent.

I am not an expert with this unit, but if I have to push harder on one paddle than the other just to make it move, it makes sense to me that it would affect the pressure at the blade.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Obviously, if it bothers you, you should get it fixed.
    Keep in mind that the effort it takes to move the stone along the length of the blade is not directly related to the pressure that you apply to the blade with the stone.

Admittedly, when getting started with the machine, not having to worry about this would be the best thing.

I don’t want to come off as a fan boy, but I think if you were to check the posts dealing with interactions with the folks at Wickededge, you would find far more people that reported very positive experiences than not.

As Curtis suggested, if the thing does not loosen up to your liking after a bit of use,call and ask for Kyle. I think that you will be happy with the result.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

BTW They specifically started adding washers to the arms and screws that can be tightened to make sure there was little play in the joint.

The screws were a temporary solution Clay used a while back, the current arms have an additional washer and are pinned.

Obviously, if it bothers you, you should get it fixed.
    I think if you were to check the posts dealing with interactions with the folks at Wickededge, you would find far more people that reported very positive experiences than not.

Yup. Don’t settle if you’re not happy. Clay’s out of town, or he probably would have already commented on this. But if it doesn’t loosen up, he’ll take care of it.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

pretty sure it’s covered under warranty for no $.

call back and ask for Kyle.

I agree with Curtis and Philip here………I have had a few issue with my Pro Pack 2, and WEPS has absolutely bent over backwards to make it right, with no questions asked.
    Kyle has been my go to guy for new orders and any issues I have had, and I couldn’t expect any better customer service even if I had gone through Clay……contact Kyle, he will take care of you. :cheer:

John Genovese
    Participant

I spoke to Kyle and we are good to go.

I will say that they have some CQ issues over there. My 1.0 paste had 1.1ml in it but the .05 had .75 (25% less than it should). My kit was missing the Knife Brace and of coarse the arms not being the same.

I only bring this up because I want to see this company survive long term and they will meed to fix this sorta thing in order to do that.

Kyle is taking care of everything and I am 100% happy…. a fan boy so to speak.

JohnnyG

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I have the ball joint arms (it is worth the upgrade BTW).

A little oil loosen them up (used Break Free CLP). the left is still a little stiffer than the right. I think it will stay that way as I am right handed and use more force. My left will stay in the air and the right will fall. I prefer enough stiffness to keep them in the air.

It will take several knives before everything starts to break in, arm joints, stones, etc.

In the end I am very pleased with my WEPS. Mine was not perfect. I sharpened the vice my first knife, so it’s even less perfect now. Based on the level of perfection you desire you will be pleased with the WEPS as you will be able to sharpen a knife perfectly, even bevels, razor sharp (with some practice). I have never come to close to getting the level of perfection sharpening with anything else.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Johnny G and welcome to the forum. I’ve read through this thread and can reiterate what Curtis, Phil and the others have said: what happened with your call must have been a misunderstanding. We’re 100% committed to customer satisfaction and everyone in the office is authorized to do whatever it takes to get any problem solved or question answered. I’ll definitely speak with Sarah and let her know that what you needed to hear was “we’ll take care of it immediately!” It sounds like you’ve got things worked out with Kyle. If you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to ask.

We are still working through some QC bugs, seems like a constant moving target at times because we rely on so many different suppliers. Thanks for sticking with it and bringing up your concerns here.

–Clay

-Clay

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I can say I got my PP2 about October 2012. There were a number of issues as they had issues from the supplier giving them something that was close, but not the precision parts Clay ordered.
    Once the problems were identified, everything was fixed quickly and smoothly, and this includes a recall of parts…which is always a cluster f**k on a good day. (i’ve run one, it was not pretty)

So the short answer is, when you find something, post for us all, and we can give ideas/recommendations. This group is highly capable, and all of us have done some crazy modding to our kits.

Now as to *how* to get the best/fastest response, I’d say on the phone, Kyle is great, but then, anyone you get will get the issue resolved. If you aren’t happy with the results, PM/Email Clay, he’s been very good about problems, and many times is the first to recognize a trend in a part defect, or tiny but annoying design flaw.

But I’m babbling…I hope this helps!

John Genovese
    Participant

Thanks Fred. Clay hit the problem right on the head. I open the package, noticed the difference in the arms and called in. As Clay said, what I was expecting to hear was that we will take care of that right away. To be honest, I did not even want to hear oil it and give it a try to see what happens.

Kyle took care of everything. I have a big family. By the time I work through everyone’s kitchen knives, I should be pretty good with the WEPS. And yes, I think it is worth the money.

-G

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

I sharpened the vice my first knife, so it’s even less perfect now…….

Hey Geo, I did the same thing on mine, LOL………but, I easily fixed the “skinned” places with a black Sharpie, so it doesn’t show as bad, and hardly at all really. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.