Advanced Search

Noob here

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Noob here

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jon ONeall
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Hi, new here. I just picked up a used WEPS Pro Pack 1 (with extra ceramics & strops & a digital angle gauge) on USN. I don’t even have it yet, but will definitely be hanging out here trying to figure out how to use this beast! 🙂

I currently use the Spyderco Sharpmaker so the WEPS is a pretty big step up for me. Looking forward to learning here from the experts. Hope I can figure this thing out! 🙂

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum! Nice avatar.

I’m sure you’ll figure it out!! 🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I’m sure you’ll figure it out!! 🙂

Agreed. There are a few tricks to learn but overall, it’s not rocket science. Just go slow. Start on some “practice” knives (not your $1,000 custom 😉 ) and you’ll be fine.

There’s lots of great information here but any questions that come up, just ask. We’re a pretty friendly lot and likely most of us have gone though whatever you run into.

Ken

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome! I’m in it a couple of months. There is a learning curve but I’m sure you will get through it okay. Like Ken said go slow and ask questions along the way. I was fooled by Clay when I first started and thought I should be moving faster? It turns out my style is a lot slower? But none the less I’m turning out Wicked Edge knifes!

Jon ONeall
    Participant

Thanks guys. I am sure I’ll have the usual learning curve. One advantage to buying used is at least the stones will already be broken in. 🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome to the forum. :cheer:

Don’t get discouraged with your first few knives. I have never heard of anyone that didn’t get great edges after 5 to 10 knives (counting that fact of stone break in). Your learning curve may vary, but you will get there.

Jon ONeall
    Participant

My “new to me” WE arrived yesterday. Haven’t really had a chance to do anything with it other than unbox and inspect it. Hoping to tackle my first knife later today or tomorrow. Excited to give it a go! 🙂

Here it is.

Attachments:
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Really nice set up! I noticed you don’t have an angle cube in the pic? If you do not have one? It is really recommended to have one. I have never done a knife without using mine, but once you use it you will see how much sense it makes.
    Your going to have a blast!!! It is all I think about doing anymore, I love mine!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome, Jon! You did exactly the same thing I did, going from the Sharpmaker to a WEPS. Needless to say the WEPS is quite effective :-).

And indeed a nice avatar!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jon ONeall
    Participant

Thanks guys. I do indeed have an angle cube as well… it’s just camera shy! 🙂

Oh… and Groo rules! B)

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Oh sorry I should have kept my mouth shut. What are you doing online when you could be sharping? Lol!

Jon ONeall
    Participant

Oh sorry I should have kept my mouth shut. What are you doing online when you could be sharping? Lol!

Ha! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.