Advanced Search

Newbie to WE

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie to WE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    George Hero
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Just got my Wicked Edge Pro I kit. Sharpened 5 cheap kitchen knives for practice.
    Noticed that a few of the knives developed a bur on one side – but the bur was remained on the other side even after grinding for a while. Its as if the the stones on the other side never contacted the bur??
    Got to be a newbie technique problem.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Did you use a sharpie to make sure you were hitting the edge on both sides…before you pulled a burr on the one side.

There is only one reason that you can create a burr on one side and not take it off on the other. The stone on one side is not getting to the edge. It is intuitive, if you grind long enough, you will reach the apex. If there is still a burr on the side that you are grinding, you have not reached the apex.
    If you do not remove that burr eventually, you cannot get the knife sharp!

Two choices really. One is to increase the angle on the side with the burr remaining to remove it. Many cheap knives are not ground symmetrically. If you want to keep it that way (not sure why you would) you will have to grind at different angles on each side.
    Second, set your angles the way you want them and continue grinding until you have established a burr once on each side, then sharpen from there. If you keep at it, you will remove that burr, it just will take some time and patience to get there.

One other thing to think about, it has been documented that when you have a knife that is thicker than the calibration thickness for the WEPS, you may have to change the angle on the side with the moveable jaw somewhat to get even bevels. Do you have an angle cube? If not, I would highly recommend that you get one and use it.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Listen to Phil! His advice is right on the money. Welcome to the Forum and as you can see, there are those who are knowledgeable who are ready to help when needed. We look forward to follow your progress with the WEPS.
    Best regards
    Leo

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Do you have an angle cube? If not, I would highly recommend that you get one and use it.

Welcome to the forum Ghero, and to the WEPS. I too am pretty much a newb ( have sharpened maybe 12 knives so far approx.? ( and must say, am LOVING the WEPS ! )

I bought the Pro-Pack 2, ( that comes with the digital angle cube ) and I use the cube every time,and I have had no trouble getting the edges symmetrical and VERY sharp……….I think you should take Phil’s advice as golden and get yourself the cube………… B)

George Hero
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the advice
    I already have the cube. Turns out the cheap China kitchen knife was not symmetrical AND I just needed to grind more to get a bur on both sides.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome, Ghero!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.