Advanced Search

Newbie saying hello!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie saying hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Richard Miller
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 13

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Ordered my Wicked Edge about a week ago but sadly my order is backordered. Hope it ships soon! I’ve been using a sharpmaker as my only sharpener and my knives are dying in anticipation to be sharpened on the Wicked Edge! 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Welcome! Let us know when it arrives? If I were you I would use this time to go to some thrift store to find some deals on old knifes. That way you will have something to practice on when you get it. Your stones will need to break in so the first two knifes should be a couple you don’t really love?

Richard Miller
    Participant

I have quite a few knives set aside for practicing on. Sadly lost a huge part of my knife collection to theft (several Emerson and Spyderco) but I am slowly getting back into collecting. I have three cheap smith & Wesson knives, and low end Spyderco that I’m gonna practice on. Then once I’m proficient I’ll take a chance with my paramilitary 2. That’s my current edc.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your WEPS when it arrives. And in the meantime, don’t hesitate to ask any questions. There’s a wealth of information here to spend your time on… 😉 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Richard Miller
    Participant

No questions just yet, it all seems pretty straight forward. I think I’ve watched every YouTube video that exists for the WEPS. I just wish it would ship already! LOL

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome and have fun. :woohoo:

Richard Miller
    Participant

Thanks!

One question I do have is with the strops and ceramic stones… which order do I go in after the diamond stones? I bought the pro pack 1 and both sets of ceramics (1200/1600 and Micro Fine)

Richard Miller
    Participant

Everything shipped! 😀

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Everything shipped! 😀

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks!

One question I do have is with the strops and ceramic stones… which order do I go in after the diamond stones? I bought the pro pack 1 and both sets of ceramics (1200/1600 and Micro Fine)

In general, use the ceramics after the diamonds, then the strops after the ceramics, if you’re going for the most polished edge. But there’s no set rules… experiment and see what works for you. For example, I’ll sometimes just use a little stroppng after the diamonds, and skip ceramics, sometimes stop after the ceramics, others will strop, then go back and put a little micro bevel on with a ceramic, etc. That’s the fun and advantage of sharpening your own knives, and the WE makes experimenting a breeze.

Have fun! 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

But there’s no set rules… experiment and see what works for you. For example, I’ll sometimes just use a little stroppng after the diamonds, and skip ceramics, sometimes stop after the ceramics, others will strop, then go back and put a little micro bevel on with a ceramic, etc. That’s the fun and advantage of sharpening your own knives, and the WE makes experimenting a breeze.

That’s a big part of the fun of the WEPS. But in cases you don’t want to experiment and just build on other people’s experiences, try microfine coarse -> 1200 -> 1600 -> microfine fine -> stropping. This will get you a mirror edge that is truely wickedly sharp.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Richard Miller
    Participant

lol thanks guys. Would it be beneficial to order the 1 and .5 micron diamond strops? And what’s this Balsa strop I see? Far too many options… making my head hurt. Currently I use a knivesplus strop which has served me quite well…

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

And what’s this Balsa strop I see?

I love my balsa strop. If I go lets just say? 400 through 1K diamonds, then 14/10 balsa to 5 leather (roo is really nice) when I take a hair and touch it to the blade it will “pop”. 🙂 Or if your looking to revive a edge the 14/10 balsa is also excellent! :cheer:
    Just start having fun you just won’t believe it? Now if it isn’t “wicked sharp” I’m disappointed! :huh:

Richard Miller
    Participant

Ahh… I was reading that balsa is a little firmer than leather and it’s very porous and works well… I’ll have to just wait and see what it’s like with the items I ordered. This is going to get expensive very quickly lol

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Well, your best bet is sometimes to just get everything 😆

But before you go wild on accessories, be sure to master getting a knife sharpened to the stock diamond 600 level first. Then the fun can really begin!

Richard Miller
    Participant

Everything just arrived!!! 🙂

Call me stupid… but how do I use the metal/rubber washers to mount the WEPS to the base? I assume rubber side to the WEPS blue base?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.