Advanced Search

Newbie saying hello

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie saying hello

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Martin
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Hello all my name is Patrick. Just ordered my wicked edge pro pack 1. Should be here Friday or Saturday and I can’t wait! I’m coming from the sharpmaker so it should be a big jump. Couple a quick questions if you could help out. Is the play in the arms that bad? Do you need the upgraded arms? I’ve heard about straws? And I have a few zero tolerance knives and one has the recurve, the 0300. Do I need the curved stones for that? Thanks to all who help in advance. I can’t wait so it’s time to read up now! You’ll probably be seeing a lot of me in the next couple days lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Cake,

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your questions:

1. Play in arms: I went straight to upgraded arms, but what I have read most people don’t think so. The key with the old arms is to be consistent, so the play is always to one side. This is true with the upgraded arms, be consistent in your style. It takes some practice at first to get your technique down. Even the upgrade arms have some play. Consistency is key to everything with sharpening.

2. I have read about straws too, try them. I heard the ones at Subway fit best.

3. For the recurve ZT I think not. But I have not sharpened a recurve. Mark the edge with a marker and take 1 pass and see how it works.

Get lots of practice first on cheap knives before trying the ZT. If you don’t have any it is worth buying a cheap $10 – $20 knife and sharpening it 10 times for practice and to break in the diamond stones.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Patrick, welcome to the forum! I went exactly the same route as you: from the Sharpmaker.

What you should realize is that the WEPS attracts different audiences. One of these audiences is people with extreme OCD 😉 . That’s simply because the WEPS allows you to be so precise (up to 0.5 degrees – for some people even less). But for any practical purpose that is huge overkill.

Yes, there is a little bit of play in the arms, but no, in practice it is not that bad. Unless, of course, you’re the type of person (like myself) who watches their edges through a microscope. I tried the straws myself and found them a pain in the arse. I do use the upgraded arms, I like their construction and they’re longer (in case you have PP 2), but you need them by no means.

You can sharpen the Zero Tolerance 0300 with your normal stones. I used to own that knife myself and sharpened it a couple of times on the WEPS. But honesty requires me to say that you do need experience. So don’t do it as your first knife. (It’s a good idea to practice on some cheap knives anyway). The main trick is to use the corners of the stones as well and to be careful. There are a number of threads on this forum on recurved knives; try the search function (using the Search tab, not the Search box in the top right).

You’ve got a great setup and if I were you I’d start sharpening my knives with that one. And if you later decide you belong to the category of ppl with OCD, you can always upgrade.

Enjoy your WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Patrick Martin
    Participant

Thanks guys. Totally know what you’re saying about not starting with the ZT’s. Have some cheaper knives, and I thought about it, I have a CRKT M16 04. That has a slight recurve in almost the same spot. It will be great practice after I get regular knives down. Also have a LOT of Esee’s too. I could be totally wrong but they look pretty strain forward to learn on. Appreciate the help guys.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Welcome Patrick!

Yeah I have sharpened a bunch of recurves on my WEPS with the diamonds… basically the corners on the stock diamond stones aren’t too sharp and they will be your contact points in the recurve. It works great!

esee’s will be great to learn on because they have so much steel to remove and it will be slow going (esp. if you are trying to re-profile) so there will be lest of a chance at messing anything up. =) let us know if you have any questions!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome Patrick! On your ESEEs, make sure you pay attention to the tutorial about Finding the Sweet Spot so that your bevels don’t get out of whack out at the front of the blade. There is also more here on the forum about the correct positioning of your knives to keep the bevels even throughout the length of the blade. Some of the guys are having a lot of success with tilting the tip up or down to match the angle all the way along, paying attention to how the stone is tracking through the marker.

-Clay

Patrick Martin
    Participant

Welcome Patrick! On your ESEEs, make sure you pay attention to the tutorial about Finding the Sweet Spot so that your bevels don’t get out of whack out at the front of the blade. There is also more here on the forum about the correct positioning of your knives to keep the bevels even throughout the length of the blade. Some of the guys are having a lot of success with tilting the tip up or down to match the angle all the way along, paying attention to how the stone is tracking through the marker.

That was awesome thank you so much for the help. I can’t wait for this to get here! When I read about the stones having to break in, what will they be like before they break in? Can I still use them correctly?

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Yes. You’ll love the quality edges even in the first practice knives.

My practice knives were mostly relatives cutlery with a few pocket knives thrown in.

They were the sharpest knives any of us had seen.

A few months later and my understanding needed as much “breaking in” as my stones.

The blades coming off the stones now are a joy to cut with.

They are not all mirrors. They aren’t all convex. But they all cut.

Enjoy.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Patrick Martin
    Participant

This is what I’m working with fellers. It’s not much of a collection but it’s mine. The knives with serrations were bought before I knew about knives lol. Which would you guys start on? Also concerned about getting metal in the pivots, especially the ZT’s.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

what’s the one on the far right, the folder? that may be a good one to start on because it has a nice curve to the blade and a good flat part to clamp onto (the esee’s are more of a ffg and may be more difficult).

a few tips:

• use a sharpie and make sure you read the “finding the sweetspot” article here on the website
    • to keep out metal and abrasives from your pivot you can do one of two things… tape the pivot area off or have a bowl of water nearby and use your diamond stones like water stones (just put a few drops of water on it every now and then) and this will prevent the dust from getting everywhere

hope this helps!

Patrick Martin
    Participant

what’s the one on the far right, the folder? that may be a good one to start on because it has a nice curve to the blade and a good flat part to clamp onto (the esee’s are more of a ffg and may be more difficult).

a few tips:

• use a sharpie and make sure you read the “finding the sweetspot” article here on the website
    • to keep out metal and abrasives from your pivot you can do one of two things… tape the pivot area off or have a bowl of water nearby and use your diamond stones like water stones (just put a few drops of water on it every now and then) and this will prevent the dust from getting everywhere

hope this helps!

Sorry uploaded the same close up twice. Fixed. It’s a schrade old timer.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m guessing the one on the far right is a Gerber.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Patrick,

Nice collection of ESEE’s. You are over half way there, get em all! :woohoo:

I would suggest not doing a full flat ground as your first. Those take a little more work to get fixed evenly in the vice. I am still experimenting with FFG’s.

Patrick Martin
    Participant

IT’S COMING TOMORROW AHHHHHHHH I CANT WAIT

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.