Advanced Search

New WE owner

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New WE owner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Peel
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hello everyone

I received my Wicked Edge a week ago and I am really liking it so far I dont have much experience sharpening knives so im looking forward to reading and participating in your forum and gaining some knife sharpening knowledge.

Kenny

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to sharpness! 🙂

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi Kenny –
    Welcome to the forum and the WE community. I’m sure you are already experiencing sharpness at a level you didn’t think was possible.
    You’ll find a ton of info around here – but if you can’t find it, don’t hesitate to ask. There is someone here who will either be able to direct you to a post, or will help out.
    Have Fun
    Bob

Kenneth Peel
    Participant

I have been experiencing a very high level of sharpness thats for sure.

Ok so I have a question that I tried to look up on here but might have missed it so here goes.

Lapping the diamond stones is it necessary and what are the ways you do it like I said Im pretty new to sharpening and I read on here about lapping the ceramic stones but I am not sure about the diamonds. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Kenny

cbwx34
    Participant

Hey Kenny…

Good question. Lapping the diamond stones isn’t necessary… in fact it can damage them. Lapping can be done on the ceramics to even them out and change the finish, since the abrasive is thru the entire stone. But diamonds are just a single layer mounted in the metal, so if you lap them, it can remove the layer and then you’re left with nothing underneath.

All that being said, you can gently rub the diamonds together to break them in (which I guess technically is lapping), but you do this very lightly and only a couple of swipes. I personally don’t recommend it. I killed a diamond stone doing it, and there’s no going back. The stones will break in soon enough.

Hope that makes sense!

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the great advice.

I’m a newbie too to the WE system too. So lapping diamond stones should be minimized,then how do you keeping them even/level?….or should we not be concerned about that?

cbwx34
    Participant

Just to clarify… lapping diamond stones should not be done at all. They don’t wear like a traditional stone… they do become less aggressive over time… but will always remain flat. I mentioned lightly rubbing them at the beginning because they’re usually more aggressive than their rating… but personally I would advise against even doing this. Like I said, it’s possible to mess up the stone, and there’s no reverse. 🙂

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Daug
    Lapping the diamonds as described is a one time thing to help break them in or initialize them if you like. You don’t have to keep on doing it as you would with stones. I may have to stand corrected but I believe I am right. It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong!! LOL!

Cheers
    Leo

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Roger that….

Thanks, guys!

Kenneth Peel
    Participant

Thanks guys for the great info glad I didn’t try experimenting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.