Advanced Search

New WE Owner Question

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance New WE Owner Question

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lou Tiller
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Hooray, my Pro-Pack is here!

But…as suggested, I performed an inventory of the items in the package and found two washers enclosed that do not seem to be referenced in the documentation. They were packaged together and can be described as follows: o/s diameter = 1/2″; i/s diameter = 1/8″; construction = two ply, convex side is metal and concave side is a rubber-like material. The only application I can see for them is perhaps serving as retention devices for the thumb screws on the guide rod hinge collars.

Please advise. Thank you in advance!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hooray, my Pro-Pack is here!

But…as suggested, I performed an inventory of the items in the package and found two washers enclosed that do not seem to be referenced in the documentation. They were packaged together and can be described as follows: o/s diameter = 1/2″; i/s diameter = 1/8″; construction = two ply, convex side is metal and concave side is a rubber-like material. The only application I can see for them is perhaps serving as retention devices for the thumb screws on the guide rod hinge collars.

Please advise. Thank you in advance!

Good question, thanks for asking. They go on the #10-32 screws that mount the Paperstone base to the sharpener. The rubber side goes against the base and the metal side against the screw head.

-Clay

Lou Tiller
    Participant

Well, than makes sense too-thanks so much for the fast response!!!

I have high hopes for this WE sharpening system as I have been sorely disappointed with the parade of others, manual (including the Edge-Pro) and electric, that I have tried over the years.

Thanks again!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Louis!
    Good to have you here!
    Sorry to hear of your disappointments with other systems, but I can almost guarantee you that you will feel differently about the WEPS…it rocks!
    Welcome aboard Louis!

Warm regards
    Leo

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Welcome to the forum, OG

Good thing Clay cleared up where to place those washers. You’re one step closer to give the WEPS a go and don’t get frustrated with your first sharpening experience. As you spend more time on this forum you’ll discover that we’ve all learned to make our (less than adequately) sharp knives dull before we learned to get them razor sharp. It just takes a few practice sessions to perfect you’re technique then you’ll be really surprised what you can do with it.

Oh and BTW, welcome to your new addiction!

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Welcome to the forum OG – have fun with your new Wicked Edge and let us know how it is going :cheer:

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Welcome OG , good to have you on-board!

One trick I have learned, by default the Forum places you in the “Recent Topics” tab, and that is good it should do that. Do use the “Index” tab, it is easier to find topics that will help answer question. Along with the WE Wiki found under “Resources” there are tons of great reading and photos. It’s a wonderful group of members on this Forum, good to have you with us.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Yes, welcome!
    You’re in for a fun ride.
    This system is nothing short of amazing.
    Before you get too crazy, scan some of the posts for set up and care tips. We’ve each made our own mods to our kits to suit our tastes, not everything will match your style, but some are nothing short of amazing.
    And keep us posted!

Lou Tiller
    Participant

Thanks all!!!

Lou Tiller
    Participant

I am apparently missing something.

The paperstone base is 1-1/4″ thick and the mounting screws are 1-1/2″ long overall (1-3/8″ thread length-excludes the flat, countersink screw head). If I add the washer (metal/rubber) as I originally asked about, there is not enough male screw thread protruding from the top of the paperstone base to be able to engage the sharpener base female thread.

Surely I am doing something incorrectly.

Sorry to be such a bother, but…

Thank you.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I am apparently missing something.

The paperstone base is 1-1/4″ thick and the mounting screws are 1-1/2″ long overall (1-3/8″ thread length-excludes the flat, countersink screw head). If I add the washer (metal/rubber) as I originally asked about, there is not enough male screw thread protruding from the top of the paperstone base to be able to engage the sharpener base female thread.

Surely I am doing something incorrectly.

Sorry to be such a bother, but…

Thank you.

If you push the screws through the washers, then the base and they stick out enough to get a little thread engagement with the sharpener base, then that should be enough because the washers will compress quite a bit and then you’ll have plenty of thread engagement. Please let me know if that works. Otherwise, we might have sent the wrong screws.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I pulled my screw out and measured… it’s 1 1/2 in. long, so I think you got the right screws.

Here’s a photo of how it looks on the bottom of the base….

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.