Advanced Search

New User with a few questions

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New User with a few questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    leupold1
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

As a frustrated knife sharpener, I came across the Wicked Edge System and purchased the precision sharpener kit. I’ve managed to put edges on some of my cheaper knives and have enjoyed the learning process. Perhaps knowing a bit more of how the sharpener works now that I have the kit, I’m looking to make a purchase of stones or strop and need some advice before I tackle my better knives. Here are my concerns and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    For my hunting/skinning knives, what would be the best angle to make and maintain a good edge? Should I add the 800/1000 grit stones to my kit, or get a strop and make the transition from the 600 stone? Ultimately, I want to have many more stones and strops, but what should I purchase first?
    For butchering knives, what angle would you propose? How extensive should I go with the grits? I purchased some sanding pads from Auto Zone and have gone as high as 1500 on one of my knives. The edge looks great, but I’m worried that it won’t “bite”, or it will dull quickly.
    I’m sure by the nature of my questions that many will realize I have much more to learn about sharpening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

For my skinning knives I usually put a 20 dps (degrees per side) angle on them…

Also, you can go straight from your 600 grit stones to one of your posted strops… Just make sure to lower they angle about 2 dps when going to be the strops since they actually flex and will round your edge if not careful. This will give you a very toothy edge that will really bite in but also still shave your hair on your arm.

You could go through the 1k diamond stones, which is a very nice refined toothy finish, but I don’t think you need to go higher than that based upon your stated uses. Hope this helps!

leupold1
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

Thank you very much for the advice. If lowering the angle 2 dps, would that take the angle to 18 dps, or 22 dps? (Sorry to sound ignorant, just want to make sure.) If it were you in my position, would you buy the strops first (And which ones?), or the 800/1000 based upon my needs? Thank you again for your help. Matt

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Leupold, You need to go to 18°. If I were you I would opt for the stones first. 800 leaves a very nice toothy edge for cutting meat and the 1000 is a very nice slicing edge. You will find the 1000 a little toothy too but you have a old leather belt around the house you can strop on it and refine it alot.
    Hope that helps!
    Eamon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.