Advanced Search

New to Pro Pack 1

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New to Pro Pack 1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TrlSeeker
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

I want to say hi to everyone. After much deliberation and review, I made the plunge to purchase this new sharpener after being stuck with Lansky and Gatco sharpeners for so long. It is definitely a better, more capable sharpener. I love the mirror polished shaving edge I was able to place on my CRKT M21-14SF.

I did have some trouble with the small blades on the Schrade 94OTY. I am disappointed with myself for scuffing the clamp on the right side. It appeared the blades might have rotated a little during the sharpening, on both blades. I did place the blades a little higher in the clamp to raise the edge a little. I did put a respectable edge on the blades and would have put a better edge, but I was afraid of damaging the clamp further. Does anybody have any advice on sharpening these smaller knives? Does anybody have a solution for repairing scuffs on the clamp?

I do love this sharpener, and plan to get even better with more stones.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I think you basically have to put the blade higher in the clamp, and/or back the stone arms out more so they don’t hit the clamps.

I think most everyone has scuffed the clamps at some point. I color mine in with black sharpie. I will sometimes put a piece of
    Electrical tape on the clamps where I scuff, to give a different feel for when the stones hit it. Most times though, I just
    make sure it’s not hitting when I set the angle.

TrlSeeker
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the tape idea. I have already used a sharpie, but from experience I know it isn’t a long term solution. I’ll have to give myself more room for error by setting the higher angle like you suggest. Thanks again!

TrlSeeker
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the tape idea. I have already used a sharpie, but from experience I know it isn’t a long term solution. I’ll have to give myself more room for error by setting the higher angle like you suggest. Thanks again!

The Schrade is now past shaving sharp as well! I nicked my finger when I wiped the blade clean with a paper towel. I didn’t even realize it until it started bleeding a minute or two later.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I didn’t see your thread here the first time around, but I’m glad to hear you’re getting great results! I do a lot of those little pen knives at flea markets and community sales, I tend to just clamp them as high up as I can, use a slightly higher angle than I’m used to (usually 22-25 degrees) and go a bit slow. My clamps are plenty chewed up from dealing with these little buggers, maybe at some point I’ll blacken them up with some touch up finish I use on AR-15 receivers :silly:

TrlSeeker
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. You will have to let me know how the AR touch up stuff works on the WEPS clamp and the name of it, if it does. That sounds like it could be the more permanent fix I was looking for.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

My clamps are plenty chewed up from dealing with these little buggers, maybe at some point I’ll blacken them up with some touch up finish I use on AR-15 receivers :silly:

You don’t want to cover up those well earned battle scars do you??? 😉

TrlSeeker
    Participant

I can’t speak for ApexGS but I’m married, so I don’t need to impress anybody with scars. B) Just trying to keep my equipment maintained in as good a condition I can. Of course there wouldn’t be any if I hadn’t missed one of the six P’s. Some things are best learned from experience.

John Batinovich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 27

I didn’t see your thread here the first time around, but I’m glad to hear you’re getting great results! I do a lot of those little pen knives at flea markets and community sales, I tend to just clamp them as high up as I can, use a slightly higher angle than I’m used to (usually 22-25 degrees) and go a bit slow. My clamps are plenty chewed up from dealing with these little buggers, maybe at some point I’ll blacken them up with some touch up finish I use on AR-15 receivers :silly:

That’s some good info. I have quite a few smaller blades that I like to EDC, and the smaller ones have proven to be a challenge to sharpen. I think I’ve just been too stubborn in wanting to get a more acute angle than is feasible. I’ll try a higher angle the next time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.