Advanced Search

New, so hello and pimp my WE instantly

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New, so hello and pimp my WE instantly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 11

Hello forum,

Since I just recently signed up to this forum and received my WE unit just days ago it is time to introduce myself. I am Tom, knifenut since I joined the military some 20 years ago. Now working as a LEO for a large city in the Netherlands. I love all the different kinds of steel available. Especially Spyderco’s mule project is my favorite. Just recently I tried making my own knives out of O1 steel. I am a user, not a collector, let me be clear about that :dry: My main activity however in the knifeworld is leather. I build all kind of leather sheaths and pouches, but also belts, wallets and other leather handmade stuff.

I have been sharpening my knives for almost 20 years, started years ago with the Sharpmakerset of Spyderco. That set is still good IMHO. I added material over the years like diamond plates, waterstones, leather stroppingblocks and -wheels and more. Now I wanted something more sophisticated and after some research I chose the WE.
    I made myself a nice oak base, gave it a coat with Danish oil and also created a leather ‘hoodie’ to fixate the arms when the system is stored. The arms are fixed under a strap with a buttonsnap. The ‘hoodie’ also protects the aluminum vise.Enjoy the pictures. Well, here I am; time to start sharpening, right? :woohoo:

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Welcome to the Forum,

Looks like your ready to go. The leather cover on the vice is a new idea, looks good.
    James

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

nice job on the base, looks great……………..welcome to the forum. :cheer:

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Excellent work! Your photography is great and the whole project is a work of art. It is so nice you could set it up in your living room both as a fine tool and an art piece.
    Welcome to the forum. We have a moderator Mark who is also from the Netherlands. Good to have you aboard.

Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Good leatherwork!
    Someone said grit was a problem on the arm joints I was thinking that if you find the grit a problem you could make some gaiters to prevent the grit becoming problematic providing you have some thin black leather.

John Genovese
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 35

Very cool!

Welcome to the forum!!!

Tomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 11

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and compliments. Leather gaiters for the joints. 😛 Possible, I have had my first sharpening experiences with the system and will learn myself to blow the joints out with compressed air after use to remove gritparticles.
    I am very happy with the apparatus and the setup. I chose the starterkit with only 100/200 and 400/600 stones but that’s ok. I already orderded additional stones (800/1000 and 1200/1600) and with those I already are as far as Spyderco UF stones in microns.
    Additionally I would like the 1,4/0,6 stone-set some blank blocks and compounds. I made myself my own comparison grittable comparing all interesting stones and now know (in headlines)how to build up my set.
    I will finish the setup with stropping blocks, sprays and componds. Any experiences already with nano-clothblocks?

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

+1 Karma!
    Nice idea on the cover, its simple and effective.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome, Tom! Good to see a fellow Dutchman here. This is a welcoming community and please don’t hesitate to ask anything you’d like.

Your base looks great!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Hi, Tom

Welcome….your knives are gon’na the sharpest ever!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.