Advanced Search

New Member – Ordered PP2 today

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Member – Ordered PP2 today

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    phillip grason
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I am getting within a year of retirement, and thought I might enjoy sharpening knives on the side as a part-time business. I decided to go all in and get the PP2 and not regretting ordering it later.

I am a 911 dispatcher, former storm chaser, and enjoy selling weather instruments on Ebay. I hope to learn from all here, and anything that you can do to help, would be gratefully appreciated.

John Larew
    Troutman, NC

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Welcome to the club.

Advice

Light strokes. Just enough pressure to keep your stone flat to the blade.

Don’t start with your favorite knives.

Use a marker and angle cube.

Have fun.

Mike

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome! You might have found yourself not only a new part-time business, but also a new hobby.

Enjoy your WEPS. And don’t hesitate to ask any questions.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

phillip grason
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thank you for that advise. I am going to have to look up more about the marker, but did see in a YouTube video. I think the hardest part now is the wait for the unit to arrive.
    Thanks again.
    John

Adrian King
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 19

Seems me and you are in the same boat John, I just got mine a couple of days ago.

The first knife I’ve sharpened is the Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point. I wanted to start on a relatively straight fixed blade, I’m pleased with the results but Its not perfect, I’ve alot to learn!

I’d agree with Mikedoh’s advice when it comes to pressure, too much will only cause more scratches to remove with the following stone, this is most evident when you get to the 1k diamond to Coarse ceramic change.

I’m still not sure about the ceramics although, I’m familiar with them (I’ve owned the sypderco sharpmaker for a couple of years) but they seem to produce a ‘smudged’ effect I’m struggling to remove with later grits / strops.

All in all its a pleasant learning curve and a thoroughly enjoyable pastime! I’m having a bash at a spyderco Sage 2 now. (masking tape the pivots / exposed mechanics!)

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I am going to have to look up more about the marker, but did see in a YouTube video.

Welcome to the forum. Here’s a link, that shows a little about the marker… there’s a ton of info under the “Resources” link, that should keep you busy until your sharpener arrives! 😉

Have fun!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.