Advanced Search

New Member Needs Help

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Member Needs Help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erich
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hello everyone. A little background. A few months back I purchased the WEPS 1 and embarked on what I didn’t know at the time was going to become a most ADDICTIVE journey. I started with some old kitchen knives then made the mistake of asking my mother in law if she wanted anything sharpened. Big mistake as now she wants an endless supply of old knives sharpened. Anyway around the time I hit my 8th or 9th knife and I lot of reading on these boards, I was starting to get what I would consider a SCAREY sharp edge and was proud of my work. It was time to start on my better folders. First up, my ZT 0550. I re profiled the edge at 18 degrees(36 inclusive). Stated with 100 diamonds then 200,400,600,800,1000, 1200 ceramic 1600 ceramic and finally 5 and 3.5 diamond paste strops. The edge was the best I had done to date except for one thing. When I tried to shave hair on my left arm it would take off only a few hairs, not very impressive, but when I tried to shave hairs on my right arm, totally different story. The blade shaved the hair off like it was a straight edge razor. What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also on a side note I am using an angle cube when I start, to check angles and also checking to make sure I am raising a burr with cotton swab at each stage up through 800 stones. Thanks

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Welcome! I hope you like it here 🙂

What happened is that you still have a burr that was not properly removed on the last stone you used. Do this… Back up to your highest stone (1600 ceramic) and increase your angle by .5 dps (degrees per side) to make sure you are hitting the very edge. Then do several edge leading passes and gradually increase the pressure used over about 20-30 passes. The last ones should be feather light. Then check both sides of the knife to make sure it shaves fine (you should be able to do this in the vice) and then proceed to the strops. Hope this helps, keep us posted!

Erich
    Participant

Josh, thanks for the quick reply. I will give this a try. One quick question, when I go back to the 1600 ceramic you said to gradually increase pressure with each stroke, did you mean decrease?

Josh
    Participant

Woops! Yeah glad you caught that! Yeah, decrease pressure until you are feather light at the end.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, EXB! Glad you like your WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Erich
    Participant

Josh, thanks again. Just wanted to let you know this worked like a charm. Edge is hair shaving sharp in either direction.
    😉

Josh
    Participant

Np! Glad it worked for you 🙂

When you strop don’t forget to lower your angle around 2 dps to help prevent rounding of the apex 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.