Advanced Search

New Member… almost new owner….

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Member… almost new owner….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I’m going on 66 years old and live just north of Seattle. I’ve been semi-retired for almost two years.

I grew up with a Dad who could hone a blade by hand in just a few strokes. A master. As a logger, he sharpened almost all the axes, hand and power saws. I remember men making fun of him because he started his day sharpening his tools. And I also remember him doing more work and expending less energy than the other guys.

So, now, I’m known as the one who has sharp knives and tools but is always in search of a better sharpener.

I think I’ve found it. I love the “idea” of the Wicked Edge. In my mind’s eye I can see & feel myself using the equipment. I’m going to order either Sunday or first thing next week. I have some decisions still to make.

I want the whole package. OK, that’s out of the way.

Do I really need the base or can I mount the unit myself? If I don’t get the base, I can get more accessories! I really want the new, upgraded ball-joint. It looks cool — did it improve functionality?

I’ve noticed there’s really no price difference buying either on the Wicked Edge website or from somewhere else like Amazon. Am I missing anything? Is it better to buy direct?

So, now my personal obsession is pointing towards maybe being a moderately lucrative little hobby. I’ve descretely been asking around and everyone I know has dull knives! I overheard the “chef’s” in a local deli complaining about how dull their knives were.

If I can sharpen a few knives other than my own, I not only could pay for my Wicked Edge but maybe have some entertainment dollars left over!!

I’ll be checking in here now reading archives and getting caught up to speed. For instance, does the new upgraded ball-joint fit on the Field & Sport?

Anyway, the little reading I’ve done sounds like almost everyone is satisfied with their WE.

For Now,

Gib Curry

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum. I’ll try and answer at least some of your questions….

…..

Do I really need the base or can I mount the unit myself? If I don’t get the base, I can get more accessories! I really want the new, upgraded ball-joint. It looks cool — did it improve functionality?

You can mount the unit on whatever you want. It comes with a template on where to drill the holes, or you can find it HERE. The arm upgrade is worth it, IMO.

…..

I’ll be checking in here now reading archives and getting caught up to speed. For instance, does the new upgraded ball-joint fit on the Field & Sport?

There’s an upgrade for the F&S coming out, you can see that HERE.

Anyway, the little reading I’ve done sounds like almost everyone is satisfied with their WE.

Yup. 🙂

For Now,

Gib Curry

Gib Curry
    Participant

Well, I pushed the magic Buy button. My PP-II should be here before Thursday. (Suddenly an excruciating amount of time!)

For Now,

Gib

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Well, I pushed the magic Buy button. My PP-II should be here before Thursday. (Suddenly an excruciating amount of time!)

For Now,

Gib

Well congratulations and welcome to the dark side 😆 If you like sharp knives you are just not going to believe it!! :ohmy: It has changed mine and my friends mind to what is sharp? :woohoo:
    When you receive the package try not to use your favorite knives on the first two grinds. The stones are very aggressive at first and will need to “break in.” A lot of folks here recommend going to a thrift store and buying $2.00 knives for the break in and the small learning curve? I went to the Budk website and bought 15 $2.00 knives and took the first one to my 100/200 paddles and just scrubbed for a bit. It really seemed to help the paddles and gave me a good idea on what to expect? In hind sight maybe I did not need so many knives, but they are good cheap test knives? :blink:
    Good luck!!
    Eamon

Gib Curry
    Participant

Just checked — package tracking says my WE PP-II left Albuquerque NM this morning at 6:15am. It’s making good progress. Not scheduled to be here until Thursday or later. UPS is going to surprise me and deliver it early (I’m hoping).

Two days ago, I started developing a hangnail on my right index finger. Yesterday, working in the yard, it got worse. I tried to trim it with my sharpest knife but don’t have one that will do what I need. I can’t quite get it with clippers.

I tried re-sharpening a sharp knife yesterday, improved it but still not what I need for a delicate “surgical” touch.

So, I wait for my PP-II so I can get a knife sharp, I mean Sharp, I mean SHARP.

I am, literally, in pain waiting for my sharpener! :sick:

For Now,

Gib

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

Gib Curry
    Participant

Just checked, my PPII left Twin Falls, ID less than an hour ago!! Likely means no chance of getting it today but a good chance of getting it tomorrow!!

I’ve been going through drawers, closets, suitcases, gun cases, boxes in the garage digging out all my old (cheap) knives.

Here’s the first 10 on my list.

#1 An old Swiss Army Knife with Egghead Software logo
    #2 An old Swiss Army Knife
    #3 A David Mann “Easyrider”

#4 & #5 Gerber Multi & tanto blade came as a set through REI The multi-tool is my everyday pocket tool.

#6 An Old Timer. I’ve got another one just like this one. When I left home in 1966, my Dad pulled these two knives out of his pocket, gave me one and put the other one in his pocket. Before he passed away he gave me his. I’ll sharpen both and put them away for my son & grandson.

#7 A little folder

#8 A new Buck multi-tool

#9 A CRKT pocket flip-folder

#10 A Schrade “Sharp Finger” — it’s been in its sheath for quite awhile but this was one of my favorites for trout fishing.

~~~~

Once I’ve got my technique down, I’ll work some of our Gerber kitchen knives.

I’ve stayed up late the last couple of nights reading as much as I could consume. Thank you, all who have contributed, what a wealth of information. I read, downloaded, tried to follow the geometry & algebra, was thrilled by the high magnification images.

And now, I sit here, I’m feeling like I “know about” sharpening; but with so little re-fined experience I feel like I “KNOW” next to nothing. It’s all well and good to know “about” something; but this is something I want to deeply understand and Know.

So, I’ve been busy getting knives together; getting my spreadsheets of knives & owners prepared; getting my little Veho microscope set up. All I need now is….. well, it gets here soon.

For Now,

Gib

Attachments:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Gib,

Congrats! Looks like a great set to begin your adventures with. I’d recommend going after the #5 and #9 knives first since they’ll be the easiest to mount and the most straightforward to work with. I would mount the #9 CRKT with the blade pushed all the way forward so that the bolster rests against the vise jaws. I’d rest the spine of the knife on the pin of the depth key closest to you and then rotate the blade so that the edge is horizontal. That positioning is easy to repeat and will give you a nice, consistent bevel along the whole blade.

Don’t judge your results too harshly until you’ve gone through all those knives and your stones are starting to break in.

–Clay

-Clay

Gib Curry
    Participant

Clay,

Thanks for the insights and suggestions.

Although, I’m now even more nervously anticipating the arrival… Let’s see, it left Idaho this morning, perhaps I could meet them half-way!!

A quick little recent history. This picture shows what I, through trial & error had come up with.

It’s a set of Smith stones and was a step up from my crock sticks. But, flipping the handle & changing the paddles was annoying. So, I rigged up this bench vise and attached my Smith vise to it and angled it so I could just pull the paddle, swap hands and do the other side. It worked pretty good.

But, then, it was still annoying. First of all, the slop between the paddle rod and the slot it goes through. And secondly, I really needed another paddle!

So, I started a quick internet search to buy replacement paddles so I could work two handed.

Then, almost immediately, I found Wicked Edge. You had perfected it. When I saw my first video I absolutely knew.

Great work. My less than $50 purchase blasted off into the $700 range. (Ouch!! :blink: )

And I couldn’t be more excited.

Thanks for taking the time to say hello and share the practical details of your experience. I’ll definitely follow your advice on the knives and mounting.

Attachments:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

Gib Curry
    Participant

Well, guess what?

~~~~
    Date Time Location Event Details
    June 27, 2013 04:48:00 PM Lynnwood WA US Delivered

~~~~

I’ve got some setting up to do. Unfortunately, I was just getting ready to walk the dogs so I’ll have to postpone putting it all together until later this evening.

I wasn’t expecting a white stone base. All the pictures I’ve seen are of a dark base. But, I like it!

More soon. More later.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Enjoy – and welcome to the Wicked Edge community! :woohoo:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’ve got some setting up to do. Unfortunately, I was just getting ready to walk the dogs so I’ll have to postpone putting it all together until later this evening.

I wasn’t expecting a white stone base. All the pictures I’ve seen are of a dark base. But, I like it!

More soon. More later.

Was it a faster than normal dog walk? 😛

Post a pic of that base if you can… you’re right, most of the pics are dark bases.

Have fun!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.