Advanced Search

New Guy in MN

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Guy in MN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 18

Hello everyone! My name is Aaron. I’ve spent a lot of time sharpening freehand and getting good results, but after seeing the work that Josh does, and investing in some nice knives that I can’t bring myself to touch freehand, I decided to take the plunge on the new Gen III Pro setup. Unfortunately it has taken longer to arrive than I had hoped, although I’ve had my hands full with numerous other projects around the house.

A little about myself… I am 32 and live north of the Twin Cities in MN. I work as a project engineer. My hobbies include knives (obviously), firearms, motorcycling, home improvement, wrenching on cars, and almost anything outdoors. My first knife was a Buck 110 that I still have (not counting the swiss army knives we got for Christmas), followed by a 119, then many others. Currently I have a ZT 0300BW in my pocket, but a Benchmade Rift 950 gets a lot of pocket time as well.

I wanted a sharpening system that would allow me to confidently and consistently sharpen my knifes, and I believe I have found that with the WE system. I am planning to sharpen knives locally for family, friends, small businesses and see how that goes. Ideally I would just like to pay for my purchase, but some extra cash would be welcome as well! I am looking forward to learning as much as I can and seeing this thing in action.

Aaron

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome Aaron! I’m sorry about the delay, I’m guessing it’s pretty frustrating. It is on our end as well though it turns out to be for a good reason. Our shop ran into several small issues in going from the prototype to full production and we’ve also been incorporating feedback from the first users to get the machine so there are already some little changes that make using the machine a better experience. I hope you find it was well worth the wait!

-Clay

Aaron
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 18

Welcome Aaron! I’m sorry about the delay, I’m guessing it’s pretty frustrating. It is on our end as well though it turns out to be for a good reason. Our shop ran into several small issues in going from the prototype to full production and we’ve also been incorporating feedback from the first users to get the machine so there are already some little changes that make using the machine a better experience. I hope you find it was well worth the wait!

Thank you! It’s frustrating, but only because I’m so darn excited to get it and get to sharpening! I was tempted before, but the Gen III really sealed the deal for me and looks like a winner. I’m glad to hear that you are incorporating feedback and resolving these issues, and I hope mine is one that will have all of these little fixes complete. My only “gripe” was the limitation to a 3/16″ black thickness, but that should handle most of the knives I would encounter.

I’ve had a lot of interest locally, and am looking forward to putting “wicked edges” on all my knives, especially my ZT 0392 and 0300BW.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thank you! It’s frustrating, but only because I’m so darn excited to get it and get to sharpening! I was tempted before, but the Gen III really sealed the deal for me and looks like a winner. I’m glad to hear that you are incorporating feedback and resolving these issues, and I hope mine is one that will have all of these little fixes complete.

Yours will definitely have all the little fixes.

My only “gripe” was the limitation to a 3/16″ black thickness, but that should handle most of the knives I would encounter.

We have a solution to the blade thickness limitation that should be out in a month or two. People will be able to order a second set of jaws, just the little jaws themselves, that they’ll be able to swap out when they’re sharpening a thicker knife. Swapping out the jaws takes only seconds and is very easy.

I’ve had a lot of interest locally, and am looking forward to putting “wicked edges” on all my knives, especially my ZT 0392 and 0300BW.

I’m sure you’ll love what you can do with it.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum! I hope you’ll enjoy your WEPS and I’m pretty sure you will once you’ve got it. In the meantime, there’s a lot of things to read here if you’re interested (also take a look under “resources”). And if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.