Advanced Search

New Gen 3 jaws 1/16" and 1/4"

Recent Forums Main Forum New Gen 3 jaws 1/16" and 1/4"

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Has anyone tried out the new jaws that are available for the Gen 3 system?  I see in accessories that these are available.

I might like to have both of these.

Alan

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

No I haven’t tried them (I don’t own a Wicked Edge yet because I need to save some money before I make the purchase). It seems that this nearly eliminates the shortcomings that the gen 3 has v. the gen 2. That’s great news!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah, except I noticed it says that if you have the 1/4″ ones installed the website says you can’t sharpen anything less than 3/16″ in it… my jaws aren’t that easy to switch out, the pins have to be hammered out :/

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Yeah, except I noticed it says that if you have the 1/4″ ones installed the website says you can’t sharpen anything less than 3/16″ in it… my jaws aren’t that easy to switch out, the pins have to be hammered out :/

Josh, I’m surprised that yours are so tight. All the ones I’ve used are easy to change out, I just have to push them out with a 1/8″ Allen wrench and switching jaws is a breeze. I wonder if you need new pins.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

Josh, I’m surprised that yours are so tight. All the ones I’ve used are easy to change out, I just have to push them out with a 1/8″ Allen wrench and switching jaws is a breeze. I wonder if you need new pins.

That’s interesting Clay, I though mine were normal… I do remember them being MUCH easier on the prototype but just figured on the production model they were tighter for some reason. I’ll remove them and measure on a caliper and see if they are correct. Thanks for chiming in =)

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

I’ve got a Gen.3 from the earliest first or second batch as I recall.  My pins slide right out also.

Thanks for developing the new jaws Clay.  That was a pleasant surprise last night.  I just ordered a set of each.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

Ok measured my pins, they are .188″ diameter… does this sound right Clay? I could always lap the inside of the holes in the vise w/ some sandpaper lightly, to make them slide in and out easier. I definitely “need” the 1/4″ jaws though =)

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

just for reference, my pins measured consistently at .1870″

Josh
    Participant

I just checked mine again… I removed the jaws and found that the pins would slide very easily out of any individual hole. It wasn’t until they got to the opposing hole that they had issues. the 4 holes aren’t lined up apparently, that’s why I have to hammer them in or out… check it out. Wondering if I should drill it out a little bit?

Alan
    Participant

Hey guys.  I’ve never removed the jaws, but think I’d like to clean the cam now and then a little easier.  I see there’s a spring to watch for…  Anything more I need to know?  Looks pretty simple, just thought I’d check.

Alan

Willis68
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32

I just ordered the 1/4 jaws, I have been waiting for these!

Willis68
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 32

I just removed the pins from mine with the Alan Key like Clay suggested, simple and I gave the system one heck of a cleaning when apart also,

i  am delighted these new jaws came out, I will be ordering the smaller ones as well.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Josh,

Just removed mine, left side I had to use a drift punch and small hammer. Right side pushed out by hand using drift punch easily.

Alan
    Participant

I just removed mine.  Both pins pushed right out with just the hex key.  Super easy. and it made it easier to clean.  Putting them back in took a tad longer, as things have to be lined up just right.

Alan

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Ok measured my pins, they are .188″ diameter… does this sound right Clay? I could always lap the inside of the holes in the vise w/ some sandpaper lightly, to make them slide in and out easier. I definitely “need” the 1/4″ jaws though =)

Thanks for posting your measurements. I’m sorry for the slow reply. I’m in Chicago since last Thursday for the National Restaurant Association Show. I’ve been swamped here working the booth by day and then entertaining the crew in the evenings. I’ll dig into it when I get back and let you know.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.