Advanced Search

New 800/1000 diamond stones mislabeled?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box New 800/1000 diamond stones mislabeled?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

I spent some time yesterday conducting various tests, to see if I could find a good way to tell the difference between the two stones. I’ll spare the details, but while it’s possible that the stones may be switched in some cases, the short answer is, I think the stones are so close together that it’s hard to tell them apart. Add to that, if a new 1000 stone has a few errant diamonds that are larger, it could give the impression that it’s rougher than the 800. Broken in, they seem a bit different, but they’re still pretty close.

Obviously, if you’re getting finer results from the 800, then use them in reverse. I’d pay attention to the results,,, over time it may change as the stones wear in.

As a suggestion, I wonder if a bit finer stone, like a 1200, is available? This might show a better progression, especially if the 1200/1600 ceramics aren’t available. Maybe the 1000 is a little to close to the 800? Just a thought.

Thanks Curtis.
    Like I said, I’m confused.
    But if everyones stones feel coarser on the 800 side, then I best go with it.

If I buy another set, then I will get that confirmation myself.
    Currently my investment in the WEPS has cost AU$755 (incl freight) with the new arms and angle guage to come, possibly followed soon by some strops etc.

At least I can progress past the 800/1000’s to the 1200/1600’s and/or the MicroFine ceramics (I have them) and all is forgotten. 😉

Thanks for your helpful reply.
    Starting to feel like I’m whinging now. :huh:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Without the stones in hand to measure, it’s impossible to say. We have procedures in house to prevent the mixing up of stones, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen… I’ve been examining new stones under the microscope this afternoon and they all seem very consistent. The 800# plates all have stones averaging 12 microns and the 1000# plates have stones averaging 7 microns. There is some variation but a very consistent average so far. The pair I have right mirrors your experience in that the 1000# side does feel rougher right now, brand new but having just looked at them both under the scope, they’re definitely labeled correctly. I know that probably doesn’t help and unless you have access to some pretty high magnification, you may never know for sure on your set. If you do order a new set sometime, please let me know in advance and I can measure them for you and send you the micrographs 🙂

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

The pair I have right mirrors your experience in that the 1000# side does feel rougher right now, brand new …

Thanks again Clay.
    I’m a new WEPS user who is possibly finding things wrong where the’re not.

Appreciate the reply and offer to measure etc.

All the best and I hope you keep your sanity with the expected increase in demand of your precious time.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The pair I have right mirrors your experience in that the 1000# side does feel rougher right now, brand new …

Thanks again Clay.
    I’m a new WEPS user who is possibly finding things wrong where the’re not.

Appreciate the reply and offer to measure etc.

All the best and I hope you keep your sanity with the expected increase in demand of your precious time.[/quote]

Sanity? You probably didn’t realize that you were using my most recent portrait as an avatar 🙂

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

Now I’m worried. 😉

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Billabong
    It wasn’t till today that I realized your avatar was a bird / Emu face. It looked to me to be some sort of muppet rodent face with a bit of a smirk.
    The Emus eyes looked like brown ears sticking out of an Afro, and its nostrils were the muppets eyes.

Yeah, I know. You want some of whatever I’ve been drinking.

Chris
    Participant

Yeah, I know. You want some of whatever I’ve been drinking.

You betcha!

I’m an Aussie and you are right, it’s an emu. 😉
    Nothing to do with knives or sharpening, but I believe you should look someone in the eye when you talk to them.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.