Advanced Search

Need help picking which kit to purchase: NEWB

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Need help picking which kit to purchase: NEWB

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Sean Smith
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 6

TheodoreVu I bought it from thesharpenershop and used a coupon I found from a knife sharpening forum coupon code. I’d give out the code but I can’t seem to find it in the posts anymore. If I find it I’ll happily pass it on to you, but it allowed me to get the Pro Kit for $60 off with free shipping.

Shmuel Mandelbaum
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Hope to get some help, as well.

The Field and Sport is the same cost as the basic kit.

Any advantage one over the other? Do you think i would eventually miss the finer adjustments of the regular kit?

I do like the arms on the Field and Sport, save for only being able to adjust to 2 degree increments. Is this really an issue?

Also, i am a fairlly new beginner in the knife collecting/using world, getting usable results with the Spyderco sharpener; i also just ordered a strap from the ‘Strapman’ and look forward to learning the use of the stop.

Any ideas or thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

A short list of pros and cons that differ per system might look like this:

Pros – WE100 Basic Kit
    1 degree increments
    depth key and alignment guide

Pros – WE102 Field & Sport
    Portable
    Carrying Case
    Does Need a Base

Cons – WE100 Basic Kit
    Needs a Base
    No Carrying Case

Cons – WE102 Field & Sport
    Less Degree Choices (2 degree increments)
    No Depth Key or Alignment Guide

I haven’t found much difference in angle within a 1 degree range. I doubt anyone would notice a performance issue skipping a single degree. You might not be able to match a factory edge immediately, but if you’re within a degree, then re-profiling it should only take a moment.

The Field & Sport doesn’t have the depth key, but it does have a ledge on which to rest the spine of the knife, so you do get consistency. It also doesn’t have the alignment guide, but while it is helpful, it is not essential unless you’re completely OCD 🙂

The carrying case/portability of the Field & Sport is very nice though you will need to find a surface to which you can clamp, usually very easy to do.

Bottom line is that if you want extreme precision, then you should go with a system based on the WE100 (either the WE100 itself or the Pro-Pack I or Pro-Pack II.) If you want portability, then you should go with the Field & Sport. Both will give you extremely sharp knives.

Hope to get some help, as well.

The Field and Sport is the same cost as the basic kit.

Any advantage one over the other? Do you think i would eventually miss the finer adjustments of the regular kit?

I do like the arms on the Field and Sport, save for only being able to adjust to 2 degree increments. Is this really an issue?

Also, i am a fairlly new beginner in the knife collecting/using world, getting usable results with the Spyderco sharpener; i also just ordered a strap from the ‘Strapman’ and look forward to learning the use of the stop.

Any ideas or thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

-Clay

Shmuel Mandelbaum
    Participant

Clay,

If re-profiling is necessary due to the 2 degree increments of the Field & Sport, would the included grits be sufficient/efficient enough
    for this or would I end up spending extra for the (very cool) 50 & 80 grit Strops I saw on a jdavis YouTube video.?

Thank you.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The included grits would certainly be sufficient – changing the angle by a single degree is very easy and doesn’t require much metal to be removed.

Clay,

If re-profiling is necessary due to the 2 degree increments of the Field & Sport, would the included grits be sufficient/efficient enough
    for this or would I end up spending extra for the (very cool) 50 & 80 grit Strops I saw on a jdavis YouTube video.?

Thank you.

-Clay

Shmuel Mandelbaum
    Participant

Thanks for the help, Clay.

Likely will get the Field and Sport.

I’ll keep you posted.

thanks again,

Shmuel

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.