Advanced Search

Microfine Ceramics after 1000 grit diamond?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Microfine Ceramics after 1000 grit diamond?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Gervais
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

Hi All
    New here and new owner of the Pro Pack 1. I’ve modded it with washers and starbucks straws to eliminate all slop and feel like I’m good to go.

I’m wanting to take some of the tooth off after progressing to the 1000 grit plate. My plates are still new-ish and leaving lots of tooth. Will the supplied strops and compounds do the job after my diamond plates wear in a bit?
    Or would I see some real benefit to buy the micro-fine stone set for use after the 1000 grit? I’m sharpening better quality Chef’s knives with a typical claimed HRC of 58 – 62.

Thanks!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum!

The stones will wear in… and the strops will help. But you will see benefit from the Micro Fine stones. I did a post not to long ago that may help… http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=892&limit=6&limitstart=12&Itemid=63#4276

Let me know if that doesn’t answer your question.

Mike Gervais
    Participant

That looks about like what I’m after. I want arm-shaving sharp with the least amount of time invested.

What would be ideal is if the MF ceramics would remove much of the toothiness without giving me another burr to chase.

Thanks

cbwx34
    Participant

Should be the ticket… I’ve been finishing knives with the Micro Fine fine,,, it’s a great edge.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I agree with CBW. I have been using the MF stones to finish lots of knives recently and have been really happy with the results. I used them on my hunting knives that I took out last week and loved the edge they gave; it was super aggressive and very durable. Both the hunting knife and the camp knife are still shaving sharp after lots of use in the field. I won’t go into all the gory details, but the hunting knife definitely did a lot of tough duty while the camp knife split wood, whittled stakes, cut rope etc… while I was out. I really like the fact that I can go right back to those stones for an awesome, 1 step touch up with minimal effort.

-Clay

Mike Gervais
    Participant

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the MF ceramics as a solution to my ‘problem’ but for the asking price I want to make sure I’m not buying a pocketful of aggravation.

So here’s my question: my two ceramic honing rods load up quickly with swarf and have to be scrubbed clean with cleanser to restore the bite.

Same deal with these MF ceramics, or would I be pleasantly surprised?

Thx

Mike

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

I’ll give you my two cents worth. Clean up is a snap. Depending on how much they need to be cleaned up simple rinsing under water with a little detergent is all that is necessary. If you want to be more aggressive rub the same grit ceramics together to cleani them up. Ony a few lire rubs is all that’s necessary.

A little follow up. I recently picked up from Steven Pinson ( SP36@yahoo.com) a set of 800/1000 chosera stones. These are a full one inch wide on modified handles. Time I get thru with these stones only a few strokes are necessary with the micro ceramics. I have an extremely sharp edge with great polished angles. My clients love the look of their finished knives.

cbwx34
    Participant

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the MF ceramics as a solution to my ‘problem’ but for the asking price I want to make sure I’m not buying a pocketful of aggravation.

So here’s my question: my two ceramic honing rods load up quickly with swarf and have to be scrubbed clean with cleanser to restore the bite.

Same deal with these MF ceramics, or would I be pleasantly surprised?

Thx

Mike

I haven’t cleaned mine in quite a while, and they’re working fine, but eventually they’ll need to be cleaned. I use “Barkeeper’s Friend” on ceramic stones… easy and works great.

It shouldn’t cause you much aggravation. 🙂

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

I use the liquid form of Barkeepers Friend and it seems to work better.

Mike Gervais
    Participant

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.