Advanced Search

Metal as plastic

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Metal as plastic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

The Forum doesn’t really have an off topic section, but this is sort of about photos – a video anyway. Not really about knives per se, but this is fascinating video of a cutter like a lathe might have while making a cut in a piece of bar stock or something, done at super slow-mo and super close up.

If this link doesn’t work, search youtube for iscar chip formation and look for the vid which is 5:57 long. Amazing how the workpiece steel looks like putty or clay or something very malleable! And how the different steels act with the cutter.

Rgds,

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This is awesome! Thank you for finding it and posting.

-Clay

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

The Forum doesn’t really have an off topic section, but this is sort of about photos – a video anyway. Not really about knives per se, …,

it is the old saying ‘ a picture worth a thousand words’ .. I have spent much time reading about cutting (ref: Tony Atkins ‘The Science and Engineering of Cutting’ ( amazon link here ) but this is a visual short cut to a bunch of math and theory!!! Thanks for the post..!!!

You are right about something important: the forum needs some sort of area.. not exactly an ‘off topic area’ or you will have posts about Obama and all that.. but some sort of area where some of us can toss this sort of thing into the mix. I recently posted another weird vid like that about non-Newtonian fluids but i am sure it got lost in the other subject topic where it was imbedded.

My further observation, if you will permit me, about all that, is that the WEP forum and product user group is quickly gaining a fine hierarchy, or granularity of persons. Some are at one end ‘just users that want to do something with that darn kitchen knife’ but from there extends a long arc of persons that go way far away into several extended areas that include, but are not limited to: knife steel junkies, material science types, show knife aficionados, obsessed sharpeners, razor blade geeks,,and so on and so forth. In *no way* should you take me to mean that one is above or below anyone else in that granularity, just that all these groups have a presence. It is interesting that such a collection has landed here. It is going to take an expert ‘forum moderator’ to keep all that all artfully juggled up in the air.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The Forum doesn’t really have an off topic section, but this is sort of about photos – a video anyway. Not really about knives per se, …,

You are right about something important: the forum needs some sort of area.. not exactly an ‘off topic area’ or you will have posts about Obama and all that.. but some sort of area where some of us can toss this sort of thing into the mix. I recently posted another weird vid like that about non-Newtonian fluids but i am sure it got lost in the other subject topic where it was imbedded.

My further observation, if you will permit me, about all that, is that the WEP forum and product user group is quickly gaining a fine hierarchy, or granularity of persons. Some are at one end ‘just users that want to do something with that darn kitchen knife’ but from there extends a long arc of persons that go way far away into several extended areas that include, but are not limited to: knife steel junkies, material science types, show knife aficionados, obsessed sharpeners, razor blade geeks,,and so on and so forth. In *no way* should you take me to mean that one is above or below anyone else in that granularity, just that all these groups have a presence. It is interesting that such a collection has landed here. It is going to take an expert ‘forum moderator’ to keep all that all artfully juggled up in the air.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments. I’ll delve into creating some new areas – any suggestions for starting off?

-Clay

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

Thanks for the comments. I’ll delve into creating some new areas – any suggestions for starting off?

Can you do ‘sub topics ‘ off of a main Topic.. If so then, perhaps under the:

Techniques and Sharpening Strategies
    Share your techniques and strategies here. We’re always learning from each other and growing the body of knowledge.

Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies:
    Just starting out with your Wicked Edge, check in here for basic users tips

Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies:
    Are you almost an ‘Old Pro’ with WE, check in here for advanced discussions

Thoughts/Theories/Science Related to Sharpening Strategies:
    Sharp edges and cutting tools are a big subject. Drop off your specialized knowledge
    and related links here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.