Advanced Search

Measuring sharpening progress without the Loss of Arm Hair!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Measuring sharpening progress without the Loss of Arm Hair!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Before we dive into this topic,  I wanted to say this device is controversial and I am not sure why.  This is the reason for the posted topic.  I think this device has great value when comparing your edge progress while sharpening and believe for “newbies” using this can shorten the learning curve significantly and answer many elusive questions through their journey.  It might even save some arm hair.

Clay posted a example of a custom made tool like this in my post Ever wanted to measure and view a Edge Profile? Check this out!  The “BESS” device on the surface seems like it measures “sharpness” or better yet, “Keenness”, however, it is limited to testing only one small point on the blade and believe for accuracy, you would need to measure many points along the blade and then average them out.

Clay opened this door, so lets “hear” (Read) what you all think!

Note:  I don’t fully subscribe to the idea that “sharp” should be determined by comparing  the sharpness or keenness found on a factory manufactured razor blade to another blade.  But I do like the idea of comparing the same blade to itself during the sharpening process to show improvement of keenness (Before and After).  It’s my belief that “cutting” is a act of force and “sharpness” is a fact of (or result of) near perfect geometry.  “Keenness” from new research on the topic is is what “Hair Whittling Sharp” is actually “measuring”.  The video below does a great job at showing  the fragility of a “Keen Edge” is still really “sharp”.    Basically, I believe we obtain “Sharpness through Symmetry-My motto”.  Hopefully, I didn’t just throw a “hand grenade” in the room.  Lets discuss this….   Wait for it……….I envision making a larger and longer stand and measuring the keenness of the edge while the knife is still in the Wickededge vise  (See minute marker 02:39 in the first video and combine it with what you see in minute marker 04:17) Do you see the magic?.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks MirrorEdge! (Are you the Mike from the video?) Very interesting device. Maybe you’ve seen Clay has already posted something about a cruder home-made device that was discussed a couple of times on this forum before.

Another question, since we’ve also had a number of discussions here about what sharpness is (and because English isn’t my first language): what’s your definition of keenness?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Perfection of the apex. I’m starting to question everything I thought about edges because of this blog.  I can’t get anyone to discuss it.  I am not sure why. https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/quantifying-sharp/   No, my name isn’t Mike.  I am trying to find the words to properly introduce myself. My Name is Eddie (MirrorEdge).  Update: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/mirroredge-inroduction/

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think “keenness” is probably best defined as narrowness of the edge. From Merriam-Webster: “having an edge thin enough to cut or pierce something”

I’ve read varying numbers regarding the minimum theoretical thickness of a steel knife edge with somewhere between 0.03µ – 0.4µ. Even at the highest value, that’s a very small edge. It’s probably worth checking with Todd at scienceofsharp to see what he says. Here’s an interesting page on the subject: http://www.tameshigiri.ca/2014/01/07/razor-edged-how-sharp-is-sharp/. My understanding of what limits “keenness” is the grain size of the steel, the edge geometry and the finish. Theoretically, if you could polish an edge to a level that is finer than the grain size of the steel and you could form the edge at the lowest angle the steel can support, you’d be left with an edge that has the width of the grain size. The Bess and the homegrown version of a sharpness testing machine do measure keenness because they measure the amount of force required for the blade to rupture the material and the smaller the surface area being pushed against the material, the greater the concentration of local force, meaning that less overall force is required.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

Great article Clay!

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.